Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The money shot

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default The money shot

I've just been through approving all of yesterdays pictures and noticed an interesting trend from Manky Badger. He has been submitting pictures of the pumps and clips. I've always thought this was a good idea, although can understand people not wanting to deal with the inevitable questions as they drag their camera/phone out to photo the clips.

Anyway it is a nice touch to show what they are selling and was quite impressed to see him putting the effort in.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Yep, I've always liked that style of image as it gives an instant 'snapshot', especially for the ale drinker, to assess the pub.
    I was conscious, when loading a few myself recently that, like many others, most of my images were of pub exteriors which is something of a shame.
    Some of my interior examples included Commercial (Herne Hill), Ship (Croydon), & Good Intent, Puttenham, and I now notice that the pubs are virtually empty at the time. So maybe that's it - we don't like taking pictures in a busier pub just in case someone takes umbrage (or someone just too ugly spoils the shot!). So, maybe the committed snappers out there could get some opening-time interiors of the pubs? Myself & the omnipresent John McGraw have a very similar shot inside the Halfway House, Brenchley, and I think it's the sort of thing that would attract me in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-egypt 019.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	907.4 KB 
ID:	176  

With the new digital cameras I now find it easier to take interiors shots without flash.I place it on the table pointed in the general direction and let it get on with it. No good? just delete and try another. You would think with every mobile phone having a camera no one would think twice what you were doing. I did take a very nice one at Christmas of a log fire in my local but Hoppy spied a holly branch in a brass jug and marked me down as a visitor to pubs with.

I took my camera out a couple of days ago and I'm waiting for the missus to show me how to stick the pictures on the computer. I have to admit to feeling like a bit of a lemon standing there taking pictures, but I'm sure it will pass.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I have to admit to feeling like a bit of a lemon standing there taking pictures
    Probably not as self-conscious as I felt on my solitary attempt to take pub notes on a dictaphone - it was at the Old Shades, Whitehall; I'm sure some American tourists thought I was calling in some dastardly terrrrist plan. Actually there was another attempt, over the road in Lord Moon on Mall where, this being later in the day & me having had a goodly few, I spoke into it rather loudly next to the knobs blocking sight of the pumps, about the knobs blocking sight of the pumps. As true as I'm typing this, they (5 blokes) had 3 lagers and two cabernet sauvignons and chose to stand blocking 6 guest handpumps. Grrr. Anyway, I don't think those two reviews ever made it onto t'internet, so it could be a laugh if I can track down the machine.
    Sorry, didn't mean that to hi-jack the thread.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I have taken some interior pub shots, but I choose empty bars just in case it catches the boss out with secretary, or Tom & Harry holding hands

I know I did ask once in the Bell Inn, Chichester http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/39447/ as I was so impressed by his range of beers, the landlord was chuffed as I explained it would be on internet PG, and more than happy for me to photograph his beer mats from all the ales he had sold [CAMRA pub]

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I have to admit I am not averse to the free advertising

trainman, should we be offering an audio upload facility so that we can all hear your review notes

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    trainman, should we be offering an audio upload facility so that we can all hear your review notes
    Hehehe, I think you'd need an audio translation facility to make head or tail of 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I have taken some interior pub shots, but I choose empty bars just in case it catches the boss out with secretary, or Tom & Harry holding hands

I know I did ask once in the Bell Inn, Chichester http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/39447/ as I was so impressed by his range of beers, the landlord was chuffed as I explained it would be on internet PG, and more than happy for me to photograph his beer mats from all the ales he had sold [CAMRA pub]
    Yep, those pictures would make me want to visit, nice wood interior, proper barstools, handpumps, old pumpclips, nice one Farway. The other thing about it being easier (& better) to take the interior when empty is that you get to see the pub itself, which is what the image should be about and, yes, I agree it's only courteous to ask before you take an interior shot, especially if you're the only person the barstaff/guv has to focus on! If the photographer thinks the picture worth taking, the pub should be happy to have a positive representation online.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I have thought about taking a few interior pictures , trouble is its usually a Friday or Saturday night when im out so it tends to be a bit to busy for photos (you dont want to see the gruesome lumps that drink around here , and thats the woman).
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !