Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

Yes, you did read that headline correctly,and I wasn’t talking about Southwold’s finest, after leaving a letter out oftheir name. Instead, I’m talking about water, yes plain, unadulterated and somemight day boring water, even though without this molecule there would be nolife on earth, and none of us would be here. Water (chemical formula: H2O) is a colourless and transparent fluid which forms theworld's streams, lakes, oceans, and rain, and is the major constituent of thefluids of organisms. As a chemical compound, a water molecule contains oneoxygen and two hydrogen atoms that are connected by covalent bonds.
"Adam's ale" is a colloquial expression,that referred to plain water. The term is thought to have originated in 16thor 17th centuries and is a reference to the biblical story of Adamand Eve in the Garden of Eden, where water is said to have been their onlydrink. In this sense, "Adam's ale" is used to refer to water as beinga natural and basic necessity for life, much like it was for Adam & Eve.and if water was good enough for old Adam, it should be good enough for us. That's if you believe such people existed, of course, but even if you don't the allegory is there and remains valid, for discussions such as this.
It goes without saying, of course, that Adams ale is not tobe confused with “Adnams ale”, which refers to the product of the well-knownbrewery from Southwold in Suffolk. The term Adams ale became popular inVictorian times, particularly with the rise of the anti-alcohol, Temperancemovements, and yet the majority of us tend to eschew the fluid that isliterally the “water of life.” Water is essential for life. It helps witheverything from transporting nutrients around your body to controlling yourtemperature. It can even help you to have healthier skin.
UK Government advice on fluids is to consume 6-8 glasses per day(around 1.2 litres in total, which equates to 6 x 200ml glasses or 8 x 150mlglasses). Those doing strenuous physical activity or living in hotter or morehumid climates may need more than this, so it is important todrink sufficient fluids in order to keep your body hydrated. Most adults need between 2 to 2.5 litres of fluid aday, which is around 8 glasses. We get most of the fluid we need from drinks,but some also comes from the foods we eat, such as soups, stews, fruit, andvegetables. It is important to make sure we replace the amount of fluid our bodieslose each day, in order to prevent us becoming dehydrated. Ready for a few more facts – our bodies lose about1.5 litres of fluid a day when we pee, around 200ml in a typical bowel movement,and about 500ml through sweat. In addition, we also lose fluid just bybreathing. To complicate things further, the exact amount of fluid we needdepends on things such as, age, exercise, plus climate and environment. Toelaborate, as we get older our bodies store less water and our kidneys don’twork as well as they once did. In addition, the more physical activity we undertake,then the more we need to drink, and finally if it’s hot and are sweating a lot,then we need to drink more fluids.
Returning to Adam’s ale, water is a good choicewhen it comes to meeting your body's needs for fluids. It doesn't have anycalories and if you drink tap water – it’s free. If you don’t like the taste,then you can add a slice of lemon or a little sugar free cordial.
The flavourangle is an interesting one, as for years I steered clear of water, purelybecause I didn’t like the taste. Instead, I preferred squash, or fruit juices,and although I enjoyed fizzy drinks, whilst in my teens, I soon realised thatthese so-called “sodas” – as the Americans would describe them, weren’t terriblygood for one, given their high levels of sugar or, even worse, artificial sweeteners.
It was when I began long-distance walking that I switchedto drinking water – mainly the stuff that comes out of the tap, but sometimes shopbought, bottles water instead. I managed to put aside my dislike of its taste,and whilst beer, tea and coffee will always remain as my favourite drinks, I ammore than happy to enjoy a swig of Adam’s ale, straight out of my water bottle.This is especially true, after a strenuous hill-climb, when out on across-country ramble, or whilst stopping for a “breather,” on a long, and an equallydemanding walk.
It's only when you are really thirsty though, and Imean so thirsty that your mouth is dry, your tongue feels cracked, and all you canthink about is a glass of cool, clear, and refreshing water, that Adam’s alereally comes into its own. For this reason, my water bottle is filled and ready,every time I set out on a hike, and if the weather is especially warm, and thewalk long, then I will often take a second bottle of water along with me aswell.There is normally a glass of water by my bedside atnight, as well, because it isn’t that unusual for me to wake up in the middleof the night, with a dry mouth and feeling thirsty. I also have my water bottleperched on my desk at work, as I feel it’s important to stay well-hydratedthroughout the day. So, whilst beer remains my favourite, and go-todrink, water now fulfills a role when drinks such as tea and coffee are notavailable, and when drinking alcohol, would not be a good idea (at work, beforegetting behind the wheel of a car, first thing in the morning, etc)

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...