Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

This might well be the most recent recipe I’ve ever published. It’s certainly the quickest I’ve turned around a recipe after collecting the brewing record. I only photographed this last Friday. When I was at the Young’s heritage centre in Wandsworth.

This was part of a four-way parti-gyle with Special Ramrod and St. George’s Beer. Though the final two were identical. It looks very like a Fullers parti-gyle, with Ordinary, Special and Ramrod being the equivalents of Chiswick. London Pride and ESB.

The grist is very simple, consisting of just two malts: pale and crystal. Though the former was a combination of Crisp Maris Otter and Simpson Maris Otter. I’m sure, if you went back a couple of decades that the recipe would have included flaked maize and sugar. That’s just how everyone brewed back then.

There were three types of hops, all English, from 2004. 2005 and 2006 seasons. There’s no indication of variety in the brewing record. Maybe I should ask Derek Prentice, as he brewed this batch. Weird personally knowing the brewer of a log I’m interpreting.
2006 Youngs Ordinary
pale malt 4.00 lb 85.65%
crystal malt 20 L 0.67 lb 14.35%
Fuggles 75 min 0.75 oz
Goldings 30 min 0.50 oz
OG 1036
FG 1006.5
ABV 3.90
Apparent attenuation 81.94%
IBU 17.5
SRM 4.5
Mash at 152º F