Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

As I gazed out over the rain-soaked landscape, last Tuesday,I was left wondering whether it’ would ever stop raining. As we move fromwinter into early spring, it’s hard to recall a wetter period of weather, eventhough prolonged spells of wet weather probably aren’t that unusual at thistime of year. What’s perhaps more disconcerting, has been the almost totalabsence of frosts this winter, and whilst some might welcome the relativelymild conditions, give me any day a bright, crisp, and dry morning, even if itdoes mean having to scrape the car, before leaving for work.
Fruit trees, so I’ve been told, require periods of frostduring winter, in order the bear a reasonable crop of fruit - something to do with the tree going into a deep hibernation (if that's possible), before springing back with a flourish with the arrival of spring. In addition, sub-zeroconditions are also the gardener’s friend, as they help break up lumpy soil, aswell as killing off numerous garden pests, but this year cold snaps have beenfew and far between.
For those of us itching to get our hiking boots on and headout into the great outdoors, the current damp conditions are doubly frustratingas because even with
the right footwear and assorted protective rainwear,there’s nothing more soul-destroying than walking through a rain-soakedlandscape. I’ve still got a stage and a half of the Tunbridge Wells CircularWalk to complete - Eridge to Groombridge and Groombridge to Southborough, so whatought to be a relatively easy walk to complete, is turning out to be anythingbut.
What walk next though, the Greensand Ridge, perhaps? It is quiteremote in places but passes through some stunning countryside. Unfortunately,it lacks some of the convenient public transport links which characterise theNorth Downs Way, so there is potential for a few overnight stops, preferably ata location or two where there’s a decent pub. Meanwhile, back to the weather.
Too much persistentrain can also lead to flooding, a situation that none of us wish to see, butone that has become all too common in recent years. It’s noticeable on mycommute to and from work when the drive can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare. Whicheverroute I take involves crossing the river Medway, which is the main channel into which the localstreams and ditches discharge their surplus of water. With little respite betweenweather systems and the ground already saturated from previous heavy rain, it isn’tlong before water running of from the fields, starts washing across the roads,and before you know it, they are axle deep in flood water and virtuallyimpassable.
So, what has all this got to do with pubs, beer, and theenjoyment of both? Well, more than you might think. Shops and other retailoutlets often report a reduction in footfall during spells of persistent wet weather.The hardware store where son Matthew works certainly does, and I’m sure that pubs areaffected in a similar fashion. After all, when the rain is lashing downoutside, who wants to step outside and leave the comfort and warmth of theirown home?
As the week wore on, there was a gradual improvement in the weather,and by the time Thursday arrived it was quite pleasant. Time for a few cheekybeers you might think, but unfortunately, I’d agreed to sort some stuff out athome, for Mrs PBT’s. We’ve embarked on a joint, sort out- de-cluttering operationthat’s been long overdue. She might not thank me for saying so, but my good ladywife is an inveterate hoarder, and now having finally realised the extent of herhanging onto things that really aren’t worth keeping, she’s gone into full-blownclear-out mode.We’re therefore on a bit of a roll at the moment, and tocomplicate matters further, I thought it good to get ahead of things on thegarden. I managed to get a fair amount of preparatory work done in both gardenand greenhouse, during the previous “dry” spell, including digging over whatwill be my new vegetable patch. I’ve also been attaching some trellis work tothe fence, ready to provide support, when needed, for the climbing plants thatMrs PBT’s bought the other week.
There has been something of a lull on the beer front, but ifall goes to plan, that should change next week, with that long-postponed visitto the Black Country scheduled for a weeks’ time. That should fulfil along-cherished ambition to enjoy s few of the area’s finest heritage pubs, aswell as renewing my acquaintance with Batham’s and Holden’s fine ales. Both companiesare long-established Black Country brewers, whose products seem confined to thelocal area, and are rarely seen beyond the immediate local area.As for more local matters, there seems very little happeningat the moment, although West Kent CAMRA have two presentations to make thiscoming Wednesday in relation to this year’s Pub of the Year competition. Thereare no prizes for guessing the winner and runners up, but as it’s all becominga little too predictable, I doubt I shall be showing my face. That’s not totake anything away from the worthy winners, but I would rather call in at thepubs in question (they are both in Tonbridge), when things are a littlequieter.
Earlier today, Eileen and I took a drive over to the ASDAsuperstore at King’s Hill (site of the former West Malling airfield). Wecertainly know how to live, but it was worth it for the new pair of casual, bootsI bought, reduced down from £35 to just £16. An absolute bargain, and leatheras well. Part of the store’s “George” range, whoever George is - Mrs PBT’s willtell you, as she’s up on such matters, whereas the only things I am concernedabout are their comfort and durability, plus, to a point, how they look.
Breakfast tomorrow, and once again a pub will probably bethe venue. It’s as though events are starting to answer the question I raised, justthree short posts ago. It could be that more and more public houses are wakingup to the potential of opening their doors early, especially at weekends. Thepub as we know it continues to evolve, and by doing so helps ensure its own survival.This concludes this rather indulgent set of ramblings, looking backover the first half of March, the first two weeks of spring, no less. I knowthat some readers enjoy a sprinkling of domesticity woven into the blog, but aswith Marmite, others find them boring and irrelevant. As the old saying goes,life isn’t all beer and skittles, and neither is it cakes and ale, but rest assuredgentle reader, now that I’ve caught up somewhat on house and garden matters,normal service should be resumed very soon.

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...