Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of pubs should we include here?

I have listed/reviewed a few football club bars (e.g. Dartford, Truro City, Kingstonian) where they are generally open at certain hours on non-match days and I am quite happy to see them on the site.

Some Arts Centres / Concert Halls have bars in their foyers that are open to the public (Festival Hall, Barbican & Kings Place to name but 3) and you can pop in for a drink without any conditions. They all sit within the generally accepted criteria but should they also be listed on PG?

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Some Arts Centres / Concert Halls have bars in their foyers that are open to the public (Festival Hall, Barbican & Kings Place to name but 3) and you can pop in for a drink without any conditions. They all sit within the generally accepted criteria but should they also be listed on PG?
    Good point Roger, I guess there may be other public buildings/amenities that could be included as well. My feeling is that if you've been there, had a drink and believe that there is something noteworthy or useful to say then add it to the site. What I can't see any point in is adding something without leaving a meaningful review or something that just says "Bar in the xxxxxx Museum". The site should be informative not just factual.

I really don't think it's something that's easy to put 'rules' around though. We've really got to leave it to the sensibilities of members, and of course Conrad and Dave will sanity check any new additions.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I'll stay on me own

I have listed/reviewed a few football club bars (e.g. Dartford, Truro City, Kingstonian) where they are generally open at certain hours on non-match days and I am quite happy to see them on the site.

I agree about those bars you mentioned but wine bars should not be on this site and i flagged up 2 Bella Itallias that were on the Norwich list they probably do sell beer but Conrad and Dave agreed with me and deleted these.
    At the end of the day this is called Pubs Galore and not PG plus wine bars and restaurants galore.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I agree about those bars you mentioned but wine bars should not be on this site and i flagged up 2 Bella Itallias that were on the Norwich list they probably do sell beer but Conrad and Dave agreed with me and deleted these.
    At the end of the day this is called Pubs Galore and not PG plus wine bars and restaurants galore.
    I disagree, I think the basic premise of sells alcohol to anyone who walks in off the street without need to buy other goods or services is fine by me, this IMO includes wine bars

If the is finessed too much it will be only CAMRA approved, has to sell pork scratchings, no dimpled mugs, no settees etc etc

The final arbiters are of course Dictators Conrad & Dave

Former Pubs Galore Coder

We don't know what we are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    The final arbiters are of course Dictators Conrad & Dave
    It is up to the individual using site to decide whether they wish to enter the listed pub/bar/off licence/restaurant/cafe/supermarket/park bench etc for a drink. I wouldn't pop in to a Cafe Uno for a drink whether it was listed on the site or not.

This Space For Hire

It is up to the individual using site to decide whether they wish to enter the listed pub/bar/off licence/restaurant/cafe/supermarket/park bench etc for a drink. I wouldn't pop in to a Cafe Uno for a drink whether it was listed on the site or not.
    You never know. If you've been assigned the task of entertaining the mother-in-law and two ancient aunts for the afternoon you may well be delighted that you can get a beer (or possibly a large scotch) in a Cafe Uno.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I agree about those bars you mentioned but wine bars should not be on this site.
    The problem then though is that you have to define exactly what a wine bar is. I added a pub that actually calls itself a wine bar (The Courtyard Wine Bar) but it does nonetheless sell pints of real ale, which is more than can be said of many pubs. On the other hand I've also added a cocktail bar (that sounds like a pub - The Earl of Manvers) that doesn't sell any draft drinks. It was really that one that prompted my question in the first place.

I agree about the Bella Itallia though. If something's clearly a restaurant I would tend to say it probably shouldn't be on here, even if you can just pop in and have a drink. There's a Mexican restaurant in Bristol (Las Iguanos) that was on another pub review site, and I reviewed that since it was there, but I haven't bothered requesting it on this site.

Interesting point about bars within concert venues. I hadn't even thought of including those, which is a bit of a shame as I could have had a rant about Bristol Colston Hall's policy of decanting bottles of Corona in to plastic glasses, and charging you about £4 for the privilege!
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 25-10-2010 at 21:27.

I would still stick with anywhere an alcoholic beverage of any kind can be consumed without an entrance fee or any other hidden charges.

PS. Lucy, now being off the bottom of the football prediction table feels she is allowed to pipe up about a pub not being a pub unless there are pint glasses behind the bar.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    PS. Lucy, now being off the bottom of the football prediction table feels she is allowed to pipe up about a pub not being a pub unless there are pint glasses behind the bar.
    I would refer her to the Cask & Glass in Victoria. Until just a few years ago it only served beer in half pint glasses. It was (and still is) most certainly a pub although they do now have pint glasses. See my write up for details...

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22888/