Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite glass type.

Default Favourite glass type.

Normally i am not fussed what type of glass i drink out of so long as it has only got one hole in it, but lately my local has started using some John Willie Lees branded glasses which have four finger grooves on one side of the glass and a thumb groove on the other (pictures on their website).

The grooves are not really the problem, although i do dislike them as they never seem to line up with my own digits, it is the size of the top of the glass. It is far to big! It is not mouth compatible! Seepage occurs with every mouthful!

Even with a modestly sized head on it i feel like i am loosing to much of my pint to froth.

Give me a Tulip glass every time.

Does anyone else have a preference?
    From the home of the kebab of doom

I dislike Tulips and absolutely hate Dimples so for preference it's a Conical (Vase) or Nonik (Sleever) for me, but as long as it's a thin, straightish glass (and full) I'd be happy.

See also this Pub Curmudgeon poll.

Favourite glass ? - A full one

I am a salmon !!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I like a nice heavy, handled Dimple , though they are rare round here these days , but a Sleeve is OK it does the job , hate those continental vase things .

In a local pub a few weeks ago the barmaid served me a pint (Black Country BFG) in a sleeve , the next pint was served by the landlord who poured it in a dimple , explaining to the barmaid that i was a man , it was a mans beer and so should be served in a mans glass , sleeves should only be used for ladies drinks like lager !
    As you can tell its very PC in there
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I Prefer A proper Pint Glasss. Its the Glass Tankard type thats slightly wider at the bottom with a Large handle you see them mostly a Beer Festavals much more stable and less able too be Knocked over or slip out of your hand after a few Beers. Simular too this.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

If its made out of glass, has a bottom in it and is clean then I am not to fussy. But I do not like Dimples due to an R.S.I like complaint.

I'm a sleeve man.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I was in a London pub many years ago where all the punters were drinking pints out of straight glasses, but my pint came in a dimpled jug. I asked the barman, in a conversational way, why I had been served in a different glass to everyone else, and the answer was "because you're wearing a suit sir". It really was a class thing, at least in London 40 odd years ago, and straight glasses were often regarded as a working class container. I was a Civil Servant then, so no way could I be regarded as working class, but I always made a point of asking for a straight glass in that pub. Straight (sleeve?) glass for me every time.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Dimple style jugs were the standard pint pot when I started drinking back in the very late 70's in the Manchester area. I recall straight glasses coming in, but they tended to be favoured by the lager or Guinness drinker. Nowadays I'd always take a straight glass and would reject a jug if offered as first choice as it was to me in a pub yesterday. The cynic in me has the view that the opaque nature of dimpled jugs can hide a less than clear pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Dimple style jugs were the standard pint pot when I started drinking back in the very late 70's in the Manchester area.
    Weren't "handle" glasses regarded as fit only for effete southern jessies at one time?

Remember the first scene of Get Carter, in a Newcastle pub, Jack Carter orders a pint, barman picks up a handle glass and Carter clicks fingers saying, "in a fin glass" - pure Caine magic.