Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of pubs should we include here?

I'll stay on me own

Default What type of pubs should we include here?

A simple enough question you might think, after all this is a pub review website so they should all be on here. That's fine for everyone's idea of a proper traditional pub, but what about those establishments that blur the boundaries a bit?

If the definition of a "pub" is as simple as an establishment that sells an alcoholic beverage for consumption on the premises without the obligation of buying food, that's fine and I'm happy to go with that. But that will include many places that aren't proper pubs in the traditional sense. Consider these examples:

1) Somewhere that's had a gastropub makeover, and is in reality now more of a restaurant.
    2) Somewhere that actually calls itself a cafe, but nonetheless has a range of drinks on tap and you don't need to purchase any food.
    3) A cocktail bar that serves no draft drinks.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts, and whether there are any official site guidelines on this.

Thanks.

New readers should start here.

I haven't changed my basic ideas but I'd be interested to hear other points of view.

As oldboots has pointed out this subject has been exhaustively discussed and I think the general consensus is that any establishment that allows one access to alcohol without paying membership, an entrance fee or making the customer buy food should be included.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

Sorry, I should have searched out that previous thread. That's broadly in line with what I was thinking, I was just a bit concerned that a couple of the suggestions I had submitted might not be viewed as pubs.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Sorry, I should have searched out that previous thread. That's broadly in line with what I was thinking, I was just a bit concerned that a couple of the suggestions I had submitted might not be viewed as pubs.

Thanks for the help.
    It's always good to bring up old subjects again and if everyone had to trawl through the madness that is discussed on this forum everytime they wanted to start a thread to check whether it has been mentioned before it would become very tedious.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Yeah, I don't think anyone should feel the need to search before posting. Search is there for looking up things you remember to my mind. Discussing again is fine as new people new perspectives, and we change our opinions (at least I know I do).

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Most things are acceptable in my opinion, although I've noticed a number of hotels listed that don't have public bars. Gastropubs, Bar, Cafe, Lounge etc. are all OK provided they have a bar where you can order drinks. When adding new pubs I always think you should have a contribution to make, a photo or preferably a review. I see no point in trawling through someone elses database and adding pubs that I've never been near and can't even be sure that they still exist. At the very least I will have walked past the place in the last month or so.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Anywhere that is open to the general public and serves alcohol is fine in my book - again, that's the consensus of the majority here.

I'll stay on me own

My criteria for for listing a pub on here or on my own lists is.

1: It must have a draught Beer on not bottles only
    2:you dont have to pay an entry fee to get in
    3:You dont have to purchase a meal to have a drink

If a pub passes all these then i am happy to list it.

Alan.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    My criteria for for listing a pub on here or on my own lists is.

1: It must have a draught Beer on not bottles only
    If you did that you'd miss out places like Gordon's Wine Bar, which would be a dreadful shame considering it's an absolute classic.