Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

One of the questions I get asked most often - along with "Why is your blog called that?", "Why don't you get a haircut?", "Who is this mysterious woman called Dolores?" and "Are you sure you want a pint of Imperial Stout this early in the day?" - is "When are you going to write a book about Ireland?"

I think I've already got the title nailed down. But that's about it. Which is why my answer has always been: "I don't have enough information." That wouldn't have put everyone off. In the past, at least. Being positive (however uneasy that makes me feel), writers just making stuff up doesn't happen now. So much.

A second answer is: more research.

The limited photos of Irish brewing records were almost all sent to me. Time for me to get off my arse and head to Ireland.

In April, I'll visit three archives. In Dublin, Portlaoise and Cork. If past experience is anything to go by, I'll get filthy fingers, backache and a desire to never take a photograph again. And lots of surprises when I start slowly trawling through those photographs.

Research is so much fun.

More...