Visit The Beer Nut site

Sierra Nevada's Hop Bullet double IPA featured on this blog in 2018 and didn't impress me much. Solely to get my attention, they've released a supposedly improved version with an even more macho name: Hop Bullet Magnum Edition. *swoon* Go on, then.

The ABV gets a boost to 9.5%, up from 8%, though it's still clear and orange coloured. Orange is still the flavour also: jelly, marmalade, that sort of deal. Sweet and tangy, not zesty or bitter. Given the strength I thought there would be more heat but it's quite a calm fellow, pretty much as drinkable as any normal American IPA. Magnum is best known as a bittering hop, but the flavour here offers more than just bitterness, including plenty of citrus fruit as well. While it's perfectly passable, it's not the kick in the head I thought I was going to get.

I don't think this varies a great deal from the original. It's predominantly sweet and not terribly complex, but fine for what it is. The reason I'm more positively disposed towards it is that the can only cost me €2.50 in my local supermarket. For that, it's pretty good value.

More...