Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Strongest in Adnams range remains Tally Ho. Not sure what they called it back then. In recent years, they’ve called it a Barley Wine. Not so sure they would have called it that in 1890. More likely Old Ale or even just Strong Ale.

Main difference with the 1879 recipe is the presence of something called “colour”. Which I’m taking to mean a caramel of some sort. A bit tricky to work out the quantity, as it’s listed in pints rather than pounds. Or to know exactly what shade it was. Guesses all around, then.

While we’re on the topic of guesses, the brewing records don’t include FG’s or boil times. Though, oddly, they do specify when a copper sample was taken. After two hours for this brew. Meaning the boil time must have been, at least, 120 minutes.

Three types of hops: Worcester, Kent and Burgundy. No real clue what variety the last might have been. I’ve gone with the only French-grown type I know. Could me miles off there. But, as the quantity is small and I’ve put it at the start of the boil, it will probably have a negligible effect on the flavour.

Returning to guesses, one to two years conditioning in oak is what I’d plump for. Along with Brettanomyces, obviously.
1890 Adnams Tally Ho
pale malt 13.00 lb 76.11%
No. 2 invert sugar 4.00 lb 23.42%
caramel 1000 SRM 0.08 lb 0.47%
Fuggles 120 mins 3.75 oz
Strisslespalt 120 mins 1.25 oz
Goldings 30 mins 4.50 oz
OG 1086
FG 1024
ABV 8.2
Apparent attenuation 69.66%
IBU 88