Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

In the post before last, you left me, sitting in Maidstone’sRifle Volunteers pub, contemplating a visit to another pub on my Pub Fridayslist. The place in question was the Cellar's Alehouse, situated on the otherside of the river Medway, opposite Maidstone West station. I’d beenwanting to visit this establishment for some time, but its limited openingtimes, made this rather awkward. The pub is closed all day on Monday anddoesn’t open 4pm on the other weekdays.
This meant the weekend the best time to visit, although Friday’sslightly extended 4pm was doable, and as I was already in town, it seemed daftto call in. A spot of research on my phone, regarding train and bus times home,revealed there was a bus departing from outside the station at quarter to five,so after a quick WhatsApp message to Mrs PBT's to confirm this, a quick visitto the Cellar’s was on the cards, but what to do in the meantime?
Despite the cold, I decided to take a nostalgic walk around Maidstone,taking in, amongst other things a look at my old house. This was a two-up,two-down, Victorian terrace house, in a residential street, quite close to thetowns grim and imposing prison. Back in 1978, and in conjunction with previous Mrs Bailey, the propertywas purchased for the princely sum of £12,500, although it required anadditional £3,000 for the addition of a proper kitchen and bathroom. I alsotook a look at some of the numerous former pubs, now converted for other uses, ordemolished altogether.
By the time I arrived at the Cellar’s Alehouse, it wasgetting dark, but first a bit of history about the location of this micro-pub,and the building where it is housed. As its name suggests the Cellar's occupiesa former cellar of the old Style & Winch Brewery, which was once used forthe maturation and storage of barley wine. These old cellars, plus the handful ofsurrounding buildings above ground, are all that remain of the substantialMedway Brewery which stood overlooking the left (west) bank of the river Medway.
The Medway Brewery was one of the largest breweries in Kent,having been formed in 1899, by the amalgamation of Maidstone brewers A.F. Style& Co with Edward Winch & Sons Ltd of Chatham. All brewing was thenconcentrated at Maidstone, and the Chatham brewery was closed. Style &Winch Ltd then embarked on an acquisition strategy purchasing and closing eightKentish and Greater London breweries by 1924. The growing success of the companymeant it too became a target and in 1929, Style & Winch Ltd was acquired,along with its 600 public houses, by Barclay, Perkins & Co. Ltd of London.
In 1955, Barclay, Perkins & Co. Ltd merged with Courage& Co. to form Courage & Barclay Ltd, and five years laterthe new company combined with H. & G. Simonds Ltd, of Reading, to becomeCourage, Barclay, Simonds & Co. Ltd. Brewing ceased at the Medway Breweryin 1965, although a bottling plant was operated at the site until the early70’s. Sadly, the main brewery buildings were demolished in 1975 despite valiantefforts to save them.I can just about remember the Medway Brewery, because in thesummer of 1974 I was in Maidstone with Roy, a friend from our days together in the VIthform at Ashford Boys Grammar. We were both members of the still young Campaignfor Real Ale and were in the county town looking for the real thing. Cask alewas readily available in Shepherd Neame pubs, and to a lesser extent, in Whitbread-Fremlinhouses, although Courage was a different proposition altogether, with virtually alltheir Kentish pubs selling top-pressure or keg beer only.
Somehow my friend Roy had got wind that the Seven Greys, atraditional back street Courage pub, close to the river, as well as the Medway Brewery, was selling Courage beer on hand-pump. It was a fairly basic put, and Ican still picture the two of us standing at the bar and enjoying a couple ofpints of cask PBA - Pale Bitter Ale. The latter was a light mild, stocked inquite a few Courage pubs at the time, although normally served under top-pressure. Wehadn’t been in the pub long, before the peace and quiet was shattered, by agroup of, mainly female workers, from the old brewery opposite, who camestorming in.
They were obviously on their lunch break, and many were stillwearing their overalls. The group were boisterousbut good natured, and were probably as surprised to see us, as we were to seethem. Roy and I were surprised in a different way, as we both thought the formerBarclay Perkins plant had ceased brewing a long time ago. It actually had, and whatwe were witnessing was the brewery in its death throes, as the part of the plantwas still being used for bottling. Not long afterwards, that activity was transferredto Courage’s depot at Parkwood, to the south of Maidstone.It was some years before I returned to the county town –bearing in mind I was a student studying at Salford University, but when I did,I hardly recognised the town centre. The Medway Brewery had vanished (seeearlier), along with the Seven Greys. A new bridge had been built across the Medway,and a gyratory traffic system was in place. The attractive and ornate, red-brick,late-Victorian, offices, of the former brewery stood for a number of years,opposite Maidstone West station, but they too have vanished, leaving just asmall collection of buildings from the same era, overlooking a yard on the otherside of the railway.
One of these is home to the Cellar's Alehouse, and to enter thisattractive micro-pub one has to descend a series of steps at the side of the building.A flagstone floor, and a series of vaulted, brick ceilings await, with thelatter being covered with numerous beer pump clips. The walls are adorned withvarious old brewery and pub signs. There are plenty of wooden chairs and tables,most of which are to the left of the serving area. Six cask and eight keg alesas well as a number of local and fruited ciders are all perfectly kept in atemperature-controlled cool room, behind the bar, although my arrival, right onthe dot of opening time, meant I was the only customer.
Apart from the manager, I remained the sole punter for theduration of my visit, but as the former was busying himself, getting thingsready for a presumably busy night ahead, I was left to sit and reflect, whilstenjoying my beers. These were, Inn Keeper, from Long Man Brewery, plus VolumesMilk Race, from Vocation Brewery. With a pint of the former, but only a half ofthe latter, I got my ratios the wrong way round, as whilst the former wasdescribed as a Winter Ale, it needed a lot more colour to be a true winter brew– in my opinion, at least. Vocation came up trumps, yet again with theiroffering which, as hinted at by the name, was a rather good milk stout.
All too soon it was time to make a move and head for the busstop. I explained my abrupt departure to the manager, who replied, “There’salways another bus.” I told him that he didn’t know my wife, so after complimentinghim on the excellence of his beer, and the appeal of his pub, I departed. Thebus was late, of course, meaning I could have stayed for at least another half,but had I done so, it would have been early. So, a good ending to a rather chillyday out in Kent’s county town.The back and white, aerial shot opposite, shows the MedwayBrewery in its heyday, and illustrates the scale andimpressive size of the former Style & Winch brewery. It is sad to think that apart from the small group of buildings, that house the Cellar's Alehouse, plus the neighbouring small businesses, not a stone or a brick of the former Style & Winch Brewery remains today. The photo, which is downloadable free for home, and personal blog use, is dated 1921 - a time when a lot more beer was being drunk, than is the case today.

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...