Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: List of Popular Pub Names

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    All this talk of Popworld ... it seems they don’t open until 9:00pm, so I don’t think it really warrants a listing on a pub website.
    Not your type of pub, maybe. And certainly not mine. But we're not the only people that browse this site looking for pubs, so I can't see Dave agreeing with the proposal to

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    mark them as shut
    I agree with Richard:

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    A pub must:
    a) be open to and welcome the general public without requiring membership or residency and without charging for admission;
    b) serve at least one draught beer or cider; and
    c) allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Mixed feelings. True they are late night venues, but there are quite a few such on the site. Owned by Stonegate of course, the biggest pub operator in the country, their prime raison d'être is to serve drink (including keg beer), they do not generally charge admission and I can't actually find anywhere they refer to themselves as "clubs". While I would not be sorry to see them go, that opens the old can of worms of how to decide what is and isn't a pub.
    https://www.gmb.org.uk/news/more-tha...e-pubs-at-risk
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

I thought our 'rule of thumb' was similar to that used by Camra, i.e. words to the effect of this?

A pub must:
    a) be open to and welcome the general public without requiring membership or residency and without charging for admission;
    The one in Wigan charges for admission except on Sundays or if you get there in the first hour of opening. Which is a similar policy to most clubs…

This Space For Hire

I thought our 'rule of thumb' was similar to that used by Camra, i.e. words to the effect of this?

A pub must:
    Regarding a) aren't there clubs that require you to know a member, or be a member of CAMRA?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Regarding a) aren't there clubs that require you to know a member, or be a member of CAMRA?
    Yes, a few, and others that let people in for one or several visits before requiring membership, or will give admission in return for a small donation, and also various other arrangements.

All in all, the position with clubs is less well defined than for pubs.

Yes, a few, and others that let people in for one or several visits before requiring membership, or will give admission in return for a small donation, and also various other arrangements.

All in all, the position with clubs is less well defined than for pubs.
    In which case a line should be drawn and such places shouldn't be on the site, unless anybody of legal age can walk in for a drink at anytime the premises is open for business.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    In which case a line should be drawn and such places shouldn't be on the site, unless anybody of legal age can walk in for a drink at anytime the premises is open for business.
    I know this is a can of worms but I agree with Moby.Once entry is conditional (on payment/membership/CAMRA membership,signing in by member,must purchase a meal,...and so on ) I feel the "club" should not be on this site. Maybe a sister site Clubs Galore would be an idea.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I know this is a can of worms but I agree with Moby.Once entry is conditional (on payment/membership/CAMRA membership,signing in by member,must purchase a meal,...and so on ) I feel the "club" should not be on this site. Maybe a sister site Clubs Galore would be an idea.
    I disagree slightly; I'd posit that the majority of us that contribute to this site in terms of reviews and the forum are card carriers. For those clubs where you can use your Camra membership card for entry, it makes sense to keep them as otherwise some very good venues would be inactivated from the site, and there may be areas where these stand out as very decent real ale venues compared to the local pubs (I'm stating this without evidence by the way). The fact that Camra recognises a Club of the Year, should make at least some of these venues desirable for us tickers to want to visit. To conversely keep, let's say predominantly 'entertainment' (e.g. Popworld) or [chain] 'food-oriented' establishments (e.g. Frankie & Benny's; gastropubs notwithstanding) over these seems a bit silly, and potentially against the actual raison d'etre of the site (i.e. Pubs Galore, not You Can Just Get a Drink There Galore), however, I do accept that definitions are definitions, and adhering to Camra's definition (as posted by Richard above) seems the most sensible option.
    Last edited by Komakino; 14-01-2024 at 17:42.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Tbh I would guess the majority of users of this site will find information about CAMRA approved social clubs to be useful and sharing reviews of them is probably worthwhile. Whereas if we’re being realistic, no one is using this site to find information about their local Popworld or Frankie & Bennys, more likely they just get in the way when we’re trying to put a city centre pub crawl together!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Pah! One day I shall actually go in one...
    Don't forget your glowsticks and Frankie Says... T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    I did when it was known as Reflex...
    A Duran Duran fan?

welcome the general public
    I can't remember the last time is was welcomed into a pub, but perhaps that's just me.