Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List of Popular Pub Names

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I would say with certainty, yes they are different names that happen to share a common word .
    Of course. Like Kings Arms/Head, Kings/Nags Head, Royal/Penderels Oak, Black/Pied Bull. Not sure why Miller and Carter (105), Turtle Bay (108), Cosy Club (114), TGI Fridays (170), Simmons (183) and Popworld (201) are on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Not sure why Miller and Carter (105), Turtle Bay (108), Cosy Club (114), TGI Fridays (170), Simmons (183) and Popworld (201) are on the list.
    Probably because accepting them as entries in the main pub guide section of the website but refusing to acknowledge them in the Most Common Pub Names feature would be a) kinda crazy and b) a lot of extra work for no particular benefit.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Probably because accepting them as entries in the main pub guide section of the website but refusing to acknowledge them in the Most Common Pub Names feature would be a) kinda crazy and b) a lot of extra work for no particular benefit.
    You don't say? But if there were 513 branches of Popworld, then the Red Lion would no longer be the most popular pub name.
    Last edited by Tris39; 07-01-2024 at 16:43.

You don't say? But if there were 513 branches of Popworld, then the Red Lion would no longer be the most popular pub name.
    I wasn't aware of Popworld until you mentioned it. I can go back to that state of bliss without requiring anyone to mess with the list of pub names.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I wasn't aware of Popworld until you mentioned it. I can go back to that state of bliss without requiring anyone to mess with the list of pub names.
    Pah! - I'm only too well aware of them. Usually in old pubs and never open when I am there, they are a complete nuisance when trying to 'Winfield' somewhere. One day I shall actually go in one...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

I'll stay on me own

All this talk of Popworld has made me realise that their Bristol venue is not listed. Although I haven’t been there in it’s current iteration, I did when it was known as Reflex and was presumably much the same with a focus on 80’s music.

From looking at their website though, it seems they don’t open until 9:00pm, so I don’t think it really warrants a listing on a pub website.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    All this talk of Popworld has made me realise that their Bristol venue is not listed. Although I haven’t been there in it’s current iteration, I did when it was known as Reflex and was presumably much the same with a focus on 80’s music.

From looking at their website though, it seems they don’t open until 9:00pm, so I don’t think it really warrants a listing on a pub website.
    And their website calls them “clubs” too. I think they’re just cluttering the site for no reason.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    And their website calls them “clubs” too. I think they’re just cluttering the site for no reason.
    Perhaps best to mark them as shut?

This Space For Hire

Perhaps best to mark them as shut?
    Mixed feelings. True they are late night venues, but there are quite a few such on the site. Owned by Stonegate of course, the biggest pub operator in the country, their prime raison d'être is to serve drink (including keg beer), they do not generally charge admission and I can't actually find anywhere they refer to themselves as "clubs". While I would not be sorry to see them go, that opens the old can of worms of how to decide what is and isn't a pub.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    While I would not be sorry to see them go, that opens the old can of worms of how to decide what is and isn't a pub.
    I thought our 'rule of thumb' was similar to that used by Camra, i.e. words to the effect of this?

A pub must:
    a) be open to and welcome the general public without requiring membership or residency and without charging for admission;
    b) serve at least one draught beer or cider; and
    c) allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed.