• Friday 12th April

5 55.56%
  • Saturday 13th April

3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambridge PuG Crawl, Friday 5th April 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I know Cambridge quite well and there are lots of excellent pub.I'm going on an extended holiday shortly so here are some initial thoughts before an absence from this forum for a number of weeks.

Often the starting point of planning a crawl is the 2024 GBG,the Friday crawl does mean that a few likely targets will not be open all day.Also two pubs in the 2024 guide Haymakers in Chesterton and Queen Edith near Addenbrooke's are just too far away to be easily worked into a crawl route.

Most of the GBG pubs are to the immediate north of the station and the nearest meeting place to start the crawl would be The Devonshire.It maybe sensible then to pick a few of the candidates in that area (but not all) such as The Cambridge Blue,Free Press and Elm Tree with a view to arriving at the Maypole around 2pm,this pub closes between 2.30pm and 5.30pm on Fridays.

On the way back to the station a likely route is Champion of the Thames,Alexandra,Live & Let Live,Earl of Beconsfield ,Royal Standard before the two 5pm openers Calverleys and Geldart.That's 12 pubs without an excessive amount of walking,and gets you back to the station district.
    I won't be attending on the chosen day as there is a Leeds Rhinos game that evening, but I have a visit planned to Cambridge on 28th & 29th February and 1st March, and hope to do all the pubs that you mention, plus anything else that catches my eye, and will report back.
    Come On You Hatters!

For those intending to attend from London I’ve had a look at the advanced trains for this day. Currently no offers for the Thamelink connection from KX or St Pancreas via Finsbury Park , but advanced deals to be had on the Anglia connection from Liverpool Street via Tottenham Hale.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Will take a look but was planning to buy on the day as I suspect savings will be minimal.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Kings Cross/St Pancras is 20-30 mins faster but they are more expensive and do not have advance fares. On a quick look (please check), Kings Cross/St Pancras is £30.30 off peak day return (after 0929) . Liverpool St is £23.50 off peak day return after 09.14 with advance fares currently available at £16 in limited numbers. Railcard fares cheaper of course. Former is by any train, advance is specified trains each way. If not returning same day, KX return fare is from £44.90, Liv St from £28.60. Buses start from £5 each way but they take 2.5-3hrs and the timetables are sporadic.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Buses start from £5 each way but they take 2.5-3hrs and the timetables are sporadic.
    ...and if you get stuck in an accident-induced traffic jam, you could be there indefinitely; and the lavs are 'sporadic'.

Just looking at travel arrangements, so are we looking at a 12 noon (or thereabouts) start somewhere near the station on the 5th, or perhaps earlier in the Regal for anybody looking for a 'spoon breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Just looking at travel arrangements, so are we looking at a 12 noon (or thereabouts) start somewhere near the station on the 5th, or perhaps earlier in the Regal for anybody looking for a 'spoon breakfast?
    I am guessing a 12ish start, if I'm earlier for breakfast it probably won't be in a Spoons.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Kings Cross/St Pancras is 20-30 mins faster but they are more expensive and do not have advance fares. On a quick look (please check), Kings Cross/St Pancras is £30.30 off peak day return (after 0929).
    Yup. Leave 11.12am from K's+ direct, arriving 12.00pm.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I know the station area has some newer options now but we have made the Devonshire a decent starting point on (not so) recent visits. I note there is the Black Cat Cafe not far away on Mill Rd which may work for breakfast and Dev meets. I would very much have liked to be there for this but am in Sheffield Tues, Mancland weds, home Thurs and probably still coming around on Fri. Good luck to one and all and I look forward to tales and images of derring-do!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I know the station area has some newer options now but we have made the Devonshire a decent starting point on (not so) recent visits. I note there is the Black Cat Cafe not far away on Mill Rd which may work for breakfast and Dev meets.
    This does sound a sensible area to start,so I'm aiming for a noon (or thereabouts) kick off in the Devonshire but will not be partaking of a 'spoons breakfast beforehand.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson