Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Where Norfolk,Suffolk and Cambs meet.

Default Where Norfolk,Suffolk and Cambs meet.

We've got an unplanned trip to Mildenhall in Suffolk on Thursday.Any recommendations for a lunch stop with good beer in the area. Last time I was thereabouts and not just passing through was in 1975 in search of cask Greene King. I found it a bit creepy with the US Military cruising around in their big 'merican cars.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    We've got an unplanned trip to Mildenhall in Suffolk on Thursday.Any recommendations for a lunch stop with good beer in the area.
    Coincidentally I was watching a VHS recording of Defence of the Realm last night, the first time I've seen it since 2009, if the date on the tape is at all accurate. (I'm pretty sure I watched it in a cinema on its release in 1985.) Some of the action takes place around there, on a US airforce base, although a) it not a real airforce base and b) it's all mocked up from footage of barbed wire fences and security lights.

And there were no pubs.

Also I note from the map that none of the pubs in and around Mildenhall have reviews on this site. Which prompts me to say, you're on your own, pal. Best of luck.

Actually it also prompts me to think about going there in the spring/summer with my bike and tent and doing a bit of pub research.

So, many thanks for the suggestion!
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    We've got an unplanned trip to Mildenhall in Suffolk on Thursday.Any recommendations for a lunch stop with good beer in the area. Last time I was thereabouts and not just passing through was in 1975 in search of cask Greene King. I found it a bit creepy with the US Military cruising around in their big 'merican cars.
    I did have an evening at Judes Ferry in 2018 when I navigated to head of the River Lark Navigation ,it's not far from Mildenhall but was more functional than rustic. However pubs when boating in the Fens are few and far between ,so hobson's choice really.Have a good trip.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

Actually it also prompts me to think about going there in the spring/summer with my bike and tent and doing a bit of pub research.
    Yes, it seems a bit of a pub black hole round there and in the Fens. Make sure the tent is well pegged down, as the wind never stops blowing.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.