Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

I was planning to post something about Shepherd Neame beers in 1971. There are quire a lot of them Twelve, according to Christopher Hutt. But there's one he doesn't mention: Stout. Hurray! Another English Stout. Just one problem: how do I untangle its recipe from the weird parti-gyle?

That puzzle has occupied me this afternoon. And left some of the brewing record untranscribed. I've come up with a sort of solution. Not sure it's 100% right.

There were three coppers rather than two and one is handily labelled "Stout". This received different sugars to the other two coppers. Just No. 3 invert and quite a lot of caramel. The sugars aren't the problem. Nor are the hops. Which are specified separately for each copper. It's the malts. How to work out how much went into each of the three beers in the parti-gyle.*

My solution? Just base it on the % of the gravity points in each beer. I think that comes close. If you understand what I mean.

This is the record. A bit blurry, I'm afraid. If you can make any sense of the mashing scheme, let me know. I can't see a sparge.

* The others being Mild and Brown Ale. (MB and Br in the record.)

More...