Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

Spoiler alert, I wrote the bulk of this post whilst on boardship but was unable to publish it due to the Wi-fi and internet problems Iencountered. I had almost forgotten about it, but then, after seeing a requestfrom a cruise-news hungry commentator, I dug out the laptop, polished the roughedges away from the post, and added the finishing touches. Just reading what Iwrote, brings back happy memories of a relaxing time afloat, and it isn’t hardto close my eyes, drift off and imagine I was back on the Queen Victoria, asshe made her way through the clear blue crystal waters of the Mediterranean.
Why not allow your imagination to transport you too, as yousettle back in your chair and dream of bright blue, cloudless skies, whilst awarming sea breeze, that has blown all the way from Africa, transports you awayfrom a damp, soggy and decidedly stormy late October-early November, English autumnalday. So read on and see what you think.
Our cruise around the Mediterranean has taken us to varietyof different places, and when it is over, we will have visited Spain, Greece +three of its islands, Italy (Sardinia), and Portugal. So far, we have beenblessed with perfect Mediterranean weather, although that could of course,change when we head back out into the Atlantic and begin our homeward journeyacross the notorious Bay of Biscay. The latter has a reputation for stormyweather, but as I sit here typing this post, looking out across the perfectlyflat and calm waters, coloured an intense cobalt blue, it’s hard to imagine thestorms that could potentially lie ahead on our journey back to blighty.
It's the perfect way to travel, and I can’t tell you justhow relaxing it is, sitting up on the top deck, with a choice of either a sunnyor a shady position, and just watching the ocean slipping by, as the shipglides serenely through the azure blue ocean. Whether it’s that novel youalways promised yourself you’d read, typing up a blog, such as this, watching afilm, either in the theatre or in the comfort of your cabin, attending alecture – also in the theatre, there’s plenty one can do in order to while awaythe time.
On Friday morning I attended a really entertaining talk fromlegendary cricket commentator, Henry “Blowers” Blofeld, who had the wholeaudience in stitches with his tales from the commentary box. His recollectionsof fellow commentators John Arlott and Brian Johnston, themselves both propercharacters in their own right, were also packed full of memorable moments. Whatwas particularly notable, was the way that “Blowers” delivered his talk,without the use of notes, without hesitating, or being lost for words. Apparently,Henry has two more talks to give during our return voyage to Southampton, so Ishall definitely be booking myself a front row seat.
There have been other speakers as well, including a veteranBritish Airways and former Concorde pilot.Coincidentally, the ex-air stewardess, we met earlier, said that she knew thisindividual, and had flown with him in the past. Also, on the “public speaking”team, was veteran newsreader Peter Snow, accompanied by his wife Ann MacMillan.Peter Snow seemed nowhere near as accomplished in the art of public speaking as“Blowers,” although to be fair I only watched part of his talk on the TV, inour cabin.
There are plenty of other activities include watercolourpainting, fencing, dancing (various types, all of which mean little to me),keep fit, and quiz nights. I have been keeping myself by walking as much aspossible, either by laps around the promenade deck, or by using the stairsrather than the lifts, wherever possible. Three laps around the deck areequivalent to one mile, whilst for lightweights, two laps equal one kilometre. Asfar as decks are concerned, there are 12 in total, although the top two are forthe first-class Princess & Queens Grill passengers, as opposed to the restof us, whilst the lower Deck (A), is where the medical centre is situated.
Whilst on the subject of medical matters, a passenger wasevacuated from the ship, by helicopter, on our first night out of Southampton,and this morning, as we left the ship in Lisbon, we saw another poor lady beingstretchered off into a waiting ambulance. She had fractured her leg, afterslipping down an external staircase, and no, this isn’t a rumour as threepeople we have got to know, witnessed the incident.
This brings me onto the demographics of the cruisepassengers, and the fact that most of them appear much older than ourselves –and yes, that is possible! I’m not certain why this should be, as the fourprevious cruises we’ve been on have all contained a wide spread of differentage groups. The only explanation I can think of is, that just under threeweeks, the duration of this particular voyage precludes most people employed ina typical 9 to 5 position. The majority of companies place a two-week maximumperiod of leave on their employees, for obvious logistical and operationalreasons, and so, unless one is retired, or like me just working part time. Iwas fortunate to have been granted a three-week break, although I gave nearlysix months’ notice, and did so in writing.
One thing to mention, before I sign off, I didn’t manageanywhere near the amount of reading that I had planned, and this was down toseveral factors, that included writing this blog. We also made friends withquite a few other fellow cruisers, thanks in no small way to Mrs PBT’s, whopalled up with a diverse crowd of nicotine addicts, up in the “smoking area” onDeck 10. It would have been rather churlish of me to have sat there, with mynose stuck in a book, rather than joining in the conversation.There is another reason though, and it’s one that cropped upon last year’s Norwegian cruise. You see, my good lady wife thinks I am boring ifread, rather than spend time talking to her. I wouldn’t mind so much if shewasn’t the person with her eyes glued to the TV when we’re at home, but sincewhen did logic or consistency ever form part of the female psyche? I shan’t sayanymore, even though she rarely, if ever, clicks onto this blog, but you neverknow!!

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...