Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the Month (September)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Pub of the Month (September)

Last months Pub of the month now archived to Beer of the Week forum (You can still post on it).

Link

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

With little on the horizon, I may as well play my cards now.

The Brunswick, Derby.

Lovely feel as soon as you enter, fantastic old stone slabs for flooring, traditional decor across several separate rooms/drinking areas (one with dartboard), carpetted in wood-panelled lounge area around bar, own brewery beers included Old Accidental, Grillsy's Re-restoration, White Feather, Railway Porter, Second Brew, Triple Hop, & Father Mike's Rich Red Ruby (5.8%), guests were TT Landlord, Everards Tiger, Old Original & Beacon, Wadworth Henry's IPA, Pedigree. Friendly service from pretty young barmaid. It's just criminal that time permitted only a brief visit.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    With little on the horizon, I may as well play my cards now.

The Brunswick, Derby.

Lovely feel as soon as you enter, fantastic old stone slabs for flooring, traditional decor across several separate rooms/drinking areas (one with dartboard), carpetted in wood-panelled lounge area around bar, own brewery beers included Old Accidental, Grillsy's Re-restoration, White Feather, Railway Porter, Second Brew, Triple Hop, & Father Mike's Rich Red Ruby (5.8%), guests were TT Landlord, Everards Tiger, Old Original & Beacon, Wadworth Henry's IPA, Pedigree. Friendly service from pretty young barmaid. It's just criminal that time permitted only a brief visit.
    All the Everards beers are permanent as it is in fact an Everards pub.

See this thread.

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...ent-Innovation
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Well it certainly works brilliantly here.

It may not be PotM, but The Elm Tree, Hightown, just outside Ringwood, certainly deserves a mention. Last time I was there the place was little better than a tip. No food, service with a snarl, if you could get any, it was dirty, dingy, unwelcoming and served some of the worst liquid anyone has ever had the termerity to proffer in the name of beer. The only good point about said liquid was that short measure seemed to be the order of the day.
    What a transformation. When I popped in a few days ago the place was clean, the staff friendly. The food appeared to be good without trying for gastro stars. But the icing on the cake was the beer, six real ales varying from GK IPA to Bath Gem and Olde Trip. I settled for acouple of very satisfying pints of Olde Trip, not a beer that I normally associate with my neck of the woods.
    This is the sort of establishment that gives pubs a good name. One of the most pleasant hour or so I've spent in a pub for a long time, not oustanding, but thoroughly recommended if any of you are in the area. And, yes, a review will follow..........
    Last edited by runningdog; 16-09-2010 at 20:06.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I have just returned from what I think may be my D Day pub crawl, my POTM must be the Golden Lion at Southwick

Recently refurbed, supports local brewers, has micro brewery [Southwick Brewhouse] out the back, free parking, loads of history, yep, does it for me

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13441/

PS. I will sort the photos out later
    Last edited by Farway; 18-09-2010 at 16:42. Reason: PS

The Highwayman Inn in Sourton, Devon. I've posted some photos from my visit on Saturday and I'll add my review this week when I get chance. (Here it is - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60772/ )

It's the most quirky, imaginative pub I've ever been in. If you appreciate pub diversity you'd love it. The ale was fine and the landlady was very friendly and chatty. The layout had various nooks and crannies and lots of paraphernalia inside. If you're passing along the A30 near Okehampton, turn down the A386 and take a look at this place. Fantastic. (Closed during the afternoon)
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 22-09-2010 at 22:39. Reason: Update
    Waes hael!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

My POTM for September is The Cottage Loaf in Llandudno, the best pub I found on a long weekend trip.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I had an unexpectedly good mini crawl from Kensington High Street to Notting Hill Gate recently and the stand out pub that evening was the Churchill Arms.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22697/

I've still not managed to sort out my review but there are a few excellent ones already on the pub's page, especially the most recent one which explains better than I ever could why this is a pub worth checking out.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

This thread is difficult for me now because I have looked at pubs visited over the month on my travels, and was trying to chose between Brigantes in York and the Surtees Arms in Ferryhill, but any month where I have been in the Wellington in Birmingham I am having to put that as my Pub of the Month, as I find it hard to beat anywhere.

Pub of the month for September is therefore the Wellington in Birmingham.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37946/
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 30-09-2010 at 12:43.