Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Glasgow pubs - help me choose!

Spritzer Swallower

Default Glasgow pubs - help me choose!

Some friends and I are organising a get-together in Glasgow over the first weekend in November this year. We need a pub to be our "base" for the weekend, and have narrowed it down (partly on the basis of location, partly on other factors) to either the Blackfriars or the Babbity Bowster. Can anyone help me choose which one would be best?

There will be about ten of us, and we'll probably want to eat at least one meal in the pub (other meals will be elsewhere), but a lot of the time we're there we'll be just sitting and drinking and chatting.

Any thoughts from people familiar with these pubs?

Kake

Quote Originally Posted by Kake View Post
    Some friends and I are organising a get-together in Glasgow over the first weekend in November this year. We need a pub to be our "base" for the weekend, and have narrowed it down (partly on the basis of location, partly on other factors) to either the Blackfriars or the Babbity Bowster. Can anyone help me choose which one would be best?

There will be about ten of us, and we'll probably want to eat at least one meal in the pub (other meals will be elsewhere), but a lot of the time we're there we'll be just sitting and drinking and chatting.

Any thoughts from people familiar with these pubs?

Kake
    The Black Friar is definitely more of a pub, the Babbity Bowster is almost like a cafe with a bar.

I've visited both on several occasions, but only eaten in the Black Friar, which was pretty good. There's a good Mexican a couple of door away as well.

For me it would be the Black Friar as it's got a better selection of ales. It's also got a Comedy Club in the cellar and sometimes live bands upstairs.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Spritzer Swallower

Thanks Rob! I worry slightly about the live bands though... could be a bit noisy.

Thanks Rob! I worry slightly about the live bands though... could be a bit noisy.
    They usually only have bands on Tuesday & Sunday nights, so Friday & Saturday should be OK unless they have a special gig on.

Spritzer Swallower

Brilliant, thanks — I found their website, and it doesn't say anything about bands on the 5th and 6th, so since we're leaving on the 7th it should be fine.

Brilliant, thanks — I found their website, and it doesn't say anything about bands on the 5th and 6th, so since we're leaving on the 7th it should be fine.
    How did you get on in Glasgow Kake?

Spritzer Swallower

We ended up being fewer people than expected, so we went in quite a variety of pubs in the end. I'm slowly working through my photos and notes, and updating PuG as I go along (one photo, one review so far). I think my favourite overall was the Three Judges. We did visit both the Babbity Bowster (and I see what you mean about it being more of a cafe/bar) and the Blackfriars (which was absolutely packed except for about half an hour when the fireworks were on).

Glasgow is a lovely city and I'm already planning to go back for another visit!

We ended up being fewer people than expected, so we went in quite a variety of pubs in the end. I'm slowly working through my photos and notes, and updating PuG as I go along (one photo, one review so far). I think my favourite overall was the Three Judges. We did visit both the Babbity Bowster (and I see what you mean about it being more of a cafe/bar) and the Blackfriars (which was absolutely packed except for about half an hour when the fireworks were on).

Glasgow is a lovely city and I'm already planning to go back for another visit!
    Yes we like Glasgow too. I would have mentioned the Three Judges if I'd have known you were planning to wander so far.

An eclectic mix of people in there for sure. We combined it with culture. As we went to Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum first.

Pretty impressed with State Bar, Horseshoe Bar & Bon Accord as well. There's loads of good places. Even the Crystal Palace JDW is pretty impressive.