Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

After over three weeks’ worth of blogging about cruising andvisiting foreign parts, we come back down to earth now with a bang, in the formof a brief respite from exotic locations, blue skies and hot sunny days afloat.In common with all good things, our three-week cruise sadly came to an end whenwe docked at Southampton, early on Friday morning.

A rather damp Saturday was spent unpacking followed by a shopping expedition to Tesco, in order to restock the food cupboard. Sunday dawned bright and sunny, so after a brief lie-in, I was up, and out of bed, at least half an hour before Mrs PBT's. By the time she eventually surfaced, I had a machine load of washing on the go, had finished emptying my suitcase, and returned virtually all of the items taken with me on the cruise, back to their rightful place.
My wife was some way behind me, although we were not in arace with one another, and to be fair, she probably packed twice as much clothingas I did. She had also packed for both warm and cold conditions, as I later discovered,when I started emptying one of her cases. As it turned out, the cardigans, scarvesetc, all designed to keep her warm on deck when the winds were blowing, and therain lashing down, were not needed, as apart from the last three days we wereblessed with wall-to-wall sunshine and temperatures that were positively balmy.
Afterwards, I did a spot of tidying up in the garden. There wereseveral bowls worth of tomatoes to be picked, and Eileen ended frying some of themup for a light breakfast/early lunch. You can't beat sun ripened tomatoesfreshly picked from the garden, and with some thick, crusty bread to mop up thejuices, this was just the thing to set us both up for the day ahead. By mid-afternoon I had achieved most of what I’d set out to doin the garden, and decided it was time for a well-earned pint of traditionalEnglish ale. Consequently, I headed down into Tonbridge to the Nelson Armswhich, as many followers of this blog will be aware, is one of the best pubs intown. To underscore this status, the Nelson was recently announced as one offour finalists, in the 2023 CAMRA National Pub of the Year contest.I am not sure when judging for the final round of thecontest takes place but having got this far, and into the top four finalists, isa fantastic achievement and something that Matt, Emma, and the rest of the teamat the Nelson, can be immensely proud of. Being Sunday lunchtime, I expectedthe Nelson to be busy, but even so I was taken aback at just how many peoplewere crammed into the pub. With no chance of a seat, I squeezed myself in at acorner to the left of the bar counter and waited to be served.
As always, there was a good selection of beer on offer, butthe one that caught my eye was Shere Drop, from Surrey Hills Brewery, and a beerI've always held in high regard. The pint that the bar staff pulled up for me, certainlydidn't disappoint, and whilst it wasn't strictly true to say that it hardlytouched the sides, I still managed to knock it back quite rapidly. It’s hard tosay whether my thirst was due to the warm and sunny late October conditionsoutside, my brisk walk down from home, or a combination of both, but whateverthe reason that pint slid down a treat. It was definitely one of the best beersI’ve had in a long, long time.
I noticed a friend from CAMRA, sitting round the corner andenjoying Sunday lunch with his wife and either mother or mother-in-law, andpopped over to say hello, but not wishing to intrude on an extended family meal,I only stopped for he briefest of chats. Jon asked if I'd gone over to the Spa ValleyRailway Beer Festival, which was taking place over the weekend. I told him Ihadn’t, as I had just returned from holiday. He replied that he hadn't been tothe festival either but had heard that prices were on the steep side. The highprices were confirmed on Monday, by a work colleague, although she did say thebeers were in good condition.
Either way, I’m pleased for both the local CAMRA branch, andthe staff of the Spa Valley Railway, all of whom work tirelessly to make theevent a success. For my part, I was just pleased to be spending my time in anunspoiled, traditional town pub that could be on the verge of scooping the highestaward that any pub can wish for, rather than being crammed in at a crowded and,at times manic beer festival, regardless of how many beers might be on sale.
Returning to the Nelson, the pub certainly appeared popularthat day, with sports fans in the left-hand bar, and diners enjoying a Sundayroast, or an afternoon drink in the rest of the pub. Despite the hustle andbustle, Matt still found time for a brief chat with me, before being calledaway to take another food order help the waiting staff clear space for the nextinflux of hungry local residents. Taking time to acknowledge customers, bothold and new is always the sign of a good landlord, and Matt is definitely oneof the best. Following on from the Surrey Hills offering, I decided to gofor a pint of Gales HSB, a beer that is something of an old favourite, but whichhas made a comeback in recent years, thanks to promotion from “new” owners, Fuller’s.I wrote about HSB back in the summer after it made a couple of appearancelocally, turning up in both Tonbridge and Lewes. It was in fine form at the Nelsonas well, on Sunday, so perhaps I should have stuck with it, instead of goingall experimental.
By this I am referring to an “Elderberry Porter” calledEbulum, from Rother Valley Brewery, which wasn’t quite as appealing as itsounded. Having sampled homemade elderberry wine in the dim and distant past, Ishould have remembered that these berries have a high tannin content, which canimpart a very astringent mouthfeel to the finished product. Ebulum was no exception,and although an interesting experiment on the part of the brewery, it reallydidn’t work for me.The beer was OK, and certainly not undrinkable, but at thesame time I was glad to have only ordered a half. By the time I'd ordered thisthird beer, several of the dining parties had left the premises and eventuallyI had a very nice and comfortable easy chair tucked away in the snug bar, whichis almost a separate room, to the far right of the main bar. It was anextremely pleasant way to while away a Sunday afternoon, and just what I neededto set me up ready for the rigours of a return to work after a three-week absence.

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...