Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

As a change from recipes vainly trying to push my published books, here's a recipe from one that isn't finished yet, "Keg!". If you're reading this post in six months' time, please buy a copy.

P1 B was a Burton Pale Ale with a long pedigree, having been brewed since 1877. It was Truman’s equivalent of Bass Red Triangle and, originally, was exclusively a bottled beer. Sometime in the late 1950s and early 1960s it was introduced in keg form, playing the role of Truman’s premium Keg Bitter.

I’m not sure why they were brewing it on Brick Lane while their Burton brewery was still open. Maybe they were just preparing for closure by shifting some brands to London.

The recipe is very different from the other Pale Ales. There’s no crystal malt and no flaked barley. But, in addition to the cane sugar, there was another sugar called WSI.

There were two types of Kent hops from the 1968 harvest, plus another of English hops pf unspecified vintage. The hopping is very light at just 4 lbs per quarter (336 lbs) of malt. That’s the same as the Mild and 1.4 lbs per quarter less than in the other Pale Ales.I remember the shiny font for this beer, with a portrait of Ben, just like on the label. Being totally brainwashed by the Trots at CAMRA HQ, I never foe a second considered trying it.

1969 Truman Ben Truman
pale malt 9.25 lb 86.05%
pearl barley 1.00 lb 9.30%
cane sugar 0.50 lb 4.65%
Fuggles 90 mins 0.50 oz
Fuggles 60 mins 0.50 oz
Fuggles 30 mins 0.50 oz
OG 1047
FG 1010
ABV 4.89
Apparent attenuation 78.72%
IBU 18
SRM 4
Mash at 153º F
Sparge at 170º F
Boil time 90 minutes
pitching temp 64º F
Yeast Wyeast 1099 Whitbread ale

You could always buy some of my older books. I guarantee they are dead good.

More...