Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer Festivals

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    It apparently includes 5 pints though!
    Aah, that makes it quite different - a crucial piece of info that I think needs adding asap to the PG 'fest listing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    ...plus they can keep it as a souvenir.
    Hmm, I don't mind paying for a glass, usually £2/£2.50, but prefer an option to return it for refund when leaving - chances of getting it home unscathed are often dramatically reduced by then anyway. I realise this may sometimes mean an adverse balance of 20p or so on a pint. I certainly wouldn't want to pay a non-refundable fiver for a glass then, say, £3.20 per pint.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Aah, that makes it quite different - a crucial pice of info that I think needs adding asap to the PG 'fest listing.

Hmm, I don't mind paying for a glass, usually £2/£2.50, but prefer an option to return it for refund when leaving - chances of getting it home unscathed are often dramatically reduced by then anyway. I realise this may sometimes mean an adverse balance of 20p or so on a pint. I certainly wouldn't want to pay a non-refundable fiver for a glass then, say, £3.20 per pint.
    Sorry, should have said - option to return it for £2 return, making 'entry fee' £3. Ales all £3 pint, except for 1 or 2 (Otley O8 8% barley wine springs to mind)
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Aah, that makes it quite different - a crucial piece of info that I think needs adding asap to the PG 'fest listing.
    .. it's there now! Was it added, or did I just completely miss it first time round?

Thanks for that, I've updated the info and added a link to the local CAMRA page that mentions the festival too. I guess I just didn't have all the info available when I added that one, I remember thinking the admission price was a bit steep.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The comments about someone new to festivals was discovered by my lager drinking son when he decided to try Darlington's main festival. He went to the bar and ordered a half - Wheres your glass? Queued and bought it. Went back for his half - Where's your token? Joined token queue. They wanted £5 off him and £5 off his wife. He said he hadn't done a festival before and just wanted to try a half before driving home. No good- its £10 if you want beer. He took his glass back and left with a bad feeling about beer festivals. There should be someone to look after newbies really.

We are taking him to the Darlington fest on Thursday so we can show him the ropes and hopefully let him see how good festivals are, and the beer of course. Bought him a GBG and he uses it when going to away footy matches to find a good pub. Shamefully to drink lager, but has hit on one somewhere with no lager!! He will learn.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    The comments about someone new to festivals was discovered by my lager drinking son when he decided to try Darlington's main festival. He went to the bar and ordered a half - Wheres your glass? Queued and bought it. Went back for his half - Where's your token? Joined token queue. They wanted £5 off him and £5 off his wife. He said he hadn't done a festival before and just wanted to try a half before driving home. No good- its £10 if you want beer. He took his glass back and left with a bad feeling about beer festivals. There should be someone to look after newbies really.

We are taking him to the Darlington fest on Thursday so we can show him the ropes and hopefully let him see how good festivals are, and the beer of course. Bought him a GBG and he uses it when going to away footy matches to find a good pub. Shamefully to drink lager, but has hit on one somewhere with no lager!! He will learn.
    I have beer festivals to thank for getting me into Ales on a permanent basis as well as 'Spoons for allowing me to experiment without wasting (too much) money. I would suggest taking him to the next 'Spoons festival and plying him with as many "thirds" as the beer range allows. If he takes to any of the beers, get him an extra half pint of it and if he really still likes it, have a full pint. That would be as good an introduction as any and won't break the bank. Once he has sussed out that 2 or 3 are to his taste, he will be in a better position to experimemnt on his own with a few halves in different pubs and build up from there. If he doesn't like any of it, just disown him.

Thumbs up

I was at the 2 day ascot racecourse beer festival last year a great way to combine racing & a beer festival. The only negative was the combination of large amounts of & betting did not lead to many winning bets
    Last edited by hondo; 15-09-2010 at 08:17.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    I was at the 2 day ascot racecourse beer festival last year a great way to combine racing & a beer festival. The only negative was the combination of large amounts of & betting did not lead to many winning bets
    I have provisonally arranged to go there for this years festival on the 24 Sept. Large amounts of would probably enhance my chance of winning a few bob.

good luck enjoy the beer at the festival you wont get much choice in the nearby pubs
    Last edited by hondo; 15-09-2010 at 08:52.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    good luck enjoy the beer at the festival you wont get much choice in the nearby pubs
    I'd noticed. I think there is just 1 that even looks remotely worth visiting. Since the festival appears to finish at 6 we would be a bit lost for soemwhere to go afterwards.