Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Festivals

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Beer Festivals

We added Beer Festivals earlier this year and they turned out to be a bit of a hit. Dave does his best to keep them as comprehensive as he can and obviously anyone can add festivals they know about.

They have attracted quite a bit of traffic in, but for me they feel a bit flat.

I was wondering if there was anything anyone else had felt was lacking from them, I am a long way off having the time to improve them unless it is something very simple, but I was interested to hear any thoughts anyway.

Some thoughts I have had:
    Address system is too strict - We use Google Maps to check the addresses, and it has restrictions that can be quite annoying if it can't work out the address you are typing into it. This was actually a bit of a test by us, as if it had worked perfectly it had the potential to allow us to allow pubs from any country on the site. It is not quite there yet, but certainly interesting.

Add festivals from pubs - Have a button on the pub page to add a beer festival to the pub and have it prefill most of the festival details.

Allow reviews of the festival - As it says, let people comment on the festival.

I am going to this festival button - Some sort of tool that may allow our members to meet up.

Add photos to the festival - Again, just like the pubs add pictures to the festivals.

Recurrances - If it is a regular festival allow links to the old occurences on our system so that they can be compared.

Anyway, just to open that one to the floor

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi Eddie86,

how did the Kilverts go?

I'm really happy with it!

I'll be putting video and better pictures up on the festival website later (I'll link to it once I've updated)

The target was to break even - Hay on Wye had never had a beer festival before (except our 10 ale mini fest last year) and we'd spent quite a bit on advertising, live music and our own branded glasses, which we now use in the bar (oversized and line marked). I still haven't mastered getting a decent picture of the glasses, but the proof is here:

We sold around 100 glasses, and just under half the beer, resulting in a slight profit, which has been put to one side for extra advertising next year (I'm thinking What's Brewing and the local CAMRA rags)

Ferret Racing was a huge hit, and we'll now be doing that throughout the year, as well as on festival weekend. Plenty of CAMRA cards flashed for 10p discount, and feedback on comment cards was very good - quality of ale, speed of service etc. A group of locals came in, not to drink at the festival but to say thankyou for getting people into the town on a normally quite weekend - there was quite a buzz around down apparently!

I was relieved, as the week before the festival I'd been in hospital having all sorts of head scans and what not (a few more tests and I'll be all clear I'm happy to say)

But great fun, a few things to change next year - might not have all 5 ales on in the main bar as quite a few people thought that was the beer festival - having 5 on at a time!

Sorry for going on a bit - I'm still writing my diary up with notes for next year - hence the details. O, and we raised just under £100 for the Brecon Mountain Rescue team, which is nice.

Ed

Well done, Squire, looks like it went well and i take it the picture suffered from camera shake not the photographer having shakes!

hope the tests go well, i didn't realise you hadn't been well

When i pop down i will let you know, so we can have a few mins chat as i sample your ales!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Ed,

I notice that you have seperate accounts on the forum and the main PG web site, just let me know if you want to merge them and what your preferred username is on the forum (If they are merged a user can click through to see your PG contributions from the forum, and we may add more features in the future).

Also feel free to leave a review detailing any information you want to against your pub, it would be sensible to mention you are the publican in the review to show you are biased, but you can chuck your guest ales in there and just update it whenever necessary (or reference your main site to check for ales and room availability).

Good luck with the test results as well, I don't know about you, but I find the act of just visiting a hospital traumatic enough.

Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    Well done, Squire, looks like it went well and i take it the picture suffered from camera shake not the photographer having shakes!

hope the tests go well, i didn't realise you hadn't been well

When i pop down i will let you know, so we can have a few mins chat as i sample your ales!
    I take my responsibility as publican to ensure every beer sold is up to scratch very seriously

I've got some better pictures from a camera that isn't an add-on to a phone as well as a local film crew putting a video together for me, so when I finally get round to updating the website that should be good advertising for next year!

Let me know before you pop down - I'm quite often in the cellar/kitchen/office or down at Breconshire Brewery getting some work experience - the only part of becoming management I don't like is spending less time behind the bar. I'll make sure I'm around for it - customer satisfaction research is also vital to the business

Hi Ed

It looks like i should be down on Saturday, but i cant be sure until the day, as there are a few complicating factors - so hope to see you if you are working in the bar, or floating around
    MILD:

I'm back from Devon (lovely couple of pubs - reviews soon) on Friday night so Saturday I'll be around. Technically not working, but that doesn't mean much these days

Bostin'

As i say, i dont know if i will actually get there - the missus says we can go, but its my birthday on the Sunday, so she may have something planned - and i said i was only going for the books - didnt want her to think it was beer too - not that i am addicted you understand.

I will ask around for you when i pop in

where in Devon did you go?
    MILD:

We started in a tiny place (found it in the GBG) in Frithelstock which was nice but a bit restrictive - 6 houses, a pub and a church, 2 miles to nearest town and no public transport. I see you beat me to Topsham where we stayed last night, and we're spending today and tomorrow in West Lulworth

It's nice to be the otherside of the bar to be honest, and getting a bit of rest and try some different beers. Haven't found a mild yet though...

It turns out I may well be there for most of the day - we've got a table of 45 in the restaurant that night, booked after one of the group popped in and was impressed with the beers
    Last edited by Conrad; 08-10-2009 at 17:47. Reason: All the links were a little broken