Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

There’s certainly been a lot of feedback on my last post,along with quite a few questions, that I shall do my best to answer. The firstrelates to the hand pull dispense, used in the onboard pub. I haven’t managedto find anyone who’s likely to know the answer, but there are several lines of inquiry for me to pursue. Having said,James H’s suggestion makes a lot of sense, and a bag-in-a-box sounds like theideal solution to storing, and keeping cask ale in situations where demand islikely to be low, and turnover intermittent.
Volvo Cruiser, there are plenty of online websites offeringadvice about cruising, and I have listed a few of them below. With regards tothe food, the portions and whether or not it is included, I would say yes, itis, on the majority of cruise lines, although there are options for “finedining” where you will have to pay extra. We are only familiar with Cunardvessels, and can confirm that dining in the buffet, the Britannia Restaurant(waiter service) and the pub, is all inclusive. In the buffet, you can go backas many times as you wish and pile your plate as high as you want.
Drinks are not included though, but drink packages areavailable, at a price – something like $110 per day, but unless you are areally heavy drinker, they aren’t really worth it. Having said that, we’ve mettwo sisters from Wales up on deck, who are part of a group that my wife has made friends with. Both ladies are making full use of their package, withlimitless G&T’s appearing in front of then, from dawn until dusk. Another lady we’ve met, whose a formerair stewardess, likes to start her morning’s off with a glass ofProsecco or three, and then continues in the same vein until bedtime! I'm notwishing to moralise, but this is dangerous territory if you ask me.
Confectionery, such as Mars Bars, and other similar snacks are notavailable on ship, and you are best bringing your own, especially as prices inthe onboard ship are high. I remember, on a previous cruise. Mrs PBT’s paying$12 or more for a bag of M&M’s, so bring your own, or better still, buywhilst ashore, as that way you will be putting something back into the localeconomy. Btw, US dollars are the onboard currency on Cunard, and possibly other cruise lines as well. They obviously know where the money is.
Aloha Harry, the fish and chip portions in the Golden Lionpub, might appear small, but they are sensibly sized, unlike those from ourlocal chippy back home. There, the temptation is to finish what’s in thewrapper, and if I am being truthful, the friendly Turkish chippy we normally use inTonbridge, does tend to pile on the chips – even for a “small” portion.
What I will say to anyone thinking of taking a cruise is,bite the bullet, and take the plunge, if you pardon the pun. Perhaps do whatEileen and I did, which is book a short, mini cruise (ours was just for twonights). There are plenty of websites, alternatively a visit to a good oldfashioned travel agent might be helpful, as they can go through the optionsavailable and help you find a deal which suits both your leisure time as wellas your pocket.Finally, this post comes to you via tethering – an idea thatI copied from Retired Martin. Basically, it involves hooking up the laptop, toyour mobile phone, and yes, after a bit of help from my good lady wife - who knows about such things, the laptop is finally connected to the internet. So thank you to both Martin and Eileen.
Cruise Advice & Handy Tips
Emma Cruises.
Cruise with Gary

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...