Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby ( the place, not the game)

How was Sheffield? Did you meet up with Will ?
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I think retired Martin has to get his blog out first in about three weeks

Sheffield was great, the travel to and from not so, a 4hr and a bit journey up on Friday turned into a 9 hr one via Doncaster (thanks Babet), and the return was challenging on the Sunday with all trains south from Sheffield cancelled we had to get home via Manchester, not so bad but 6hrs. Yes met up with Will and Retired Martin plus Mrs Retired Martin for a very good Friday evening session, left to my own devices on Saturday with Big Steve who sensibly retired to the hotel a lot earlier than I in the evening, I of course made a pig of myself.
    Over two days 17 pubs two visited twice and eight new ticks. I've realised at this stage of life a Winfield is beyond me, even over two days.
    As I said tempted to do Rugby , just need to sort out with work.
    Sheffield Crow Inn.jpeg
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Yes,which is why I will be leaving that one till the return to the station leg to give some others a fighting chance.
    Most noticeably The Merchants Inn and Raglan Arms, which seems to have been taken over by Black Country Ales since the official PuG visit some 10 years ago now...
    I've been to both the Merchants and the Stars in the past week or so (and fairly regularly anyway). Both are very good and should easily sustain a session given the variety and quality of beers although I think the Stars has shaded it over the past couple of years so I'd aim to leave plenty of time, and capacity, to enjoy it if possible.

As you say, the Raglan is now a Black Country boozer but, as with many of them, does have a reasonable selection of guests (or did the last time I was in).

The Rugby Tap is a micro which has changed hands from the original founder and I haven't been in since but it's close to the Raglan, on the way and was always worth a visit.

Aside from that the Squirrel is something of an institution and although it won't have the most exciting ale selection they're always well kept and it's small size tends to guarantee a good atmosphere and The Victoria, just out of the town centre but not far from the Squirrel, tends to have a wide selection and is a quality Victorian boozer.

I'd like to join you for some or all of it but the diary's still a bit uncertain.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

I will be joining you Steve along with Big Steve, train tickets booked, arriving 10:45, departing 19:04.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Good luck getting past the Seven Stars! (camra discount applies til ~17:00)
    CAMRA discount no longer unfortunately. Tipsy Tuesdays now - 10 pints and get the 11th free. Doesn’t have to be all on the same Tuesday but the 29th is a Wednesday.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I will be joining you Steve along with Big Steve, train tickets booked, arriving 10:45, departing 19:04.
    Thats great news.
    As I mentioned I will arrive at 11.42 and depart at 19.47, primarily because the 10.46 out of Euston will allow me to use my Lord Mayors free Oyster and get the first “non Twirly” train from Winchmore Hill into town.
    I am guessing that you will aim for The Rupert Brook at that time of morning for Brunch. I should be able to get there by 12 noon.
    My only real target is to do the six central pubs that are in the GBG2024. The 7th entry is a club, but it doesn’t open till 8.00pm on weekdays so unfortunately out.
    The only challenge is that the Norwich Tap and the Victoria do not open till 4.00pm on weekdays so will need to be last.
    Although I was planning to leave the Seven Stars till last, as you are on an earlier train I suggest doing this first after the ‘Spoons so that we can do it justice.
    I am also happy to just visit the Rupert Brook for a swift half and catch some more traditional pub fayre as we go round (do they call them rolls or baps in Rugby ?)
    With that in mind I have knocked up the attached as a proposal but happy to modify it..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Of course I meant Rugby Tap..... still dreaming about The Fat Cat

Due to arrive at 11:13...

Thats great news.
    As I mentioned I will arrive at 11.42 and depart at 19.47, primarily because the 10.46 out of Euston will allow me to use my Lord Mayors free Oyster and get the first “non Twirly” train from Winchmore Hill into town.
    I am guessing that you will aim for The Rupert Brook at that time of morning for Brunch. I should be able to get there by 12 noon.
    My only real target is to do the six central pubs that are in the GBG2024. The 7th entry is a club, but it doesn’t open till 8.00pm on weekdays so unfortunately out.
    The only challenge is that the Norwich Tap and the Victoria do not open till 4.00pm on weekdays so will need to be last.
    Although I was planning to leave the Seven Stars till last, as you are on an earlier train I suggest doing this first after the ‘Spoons so that we can do it justice.
    I am also happy to just visit the Rupert Brook for a swift half and catch some more traditional pub fayre as we go round (do they call them rolls or baps in Rugby ?)
    With that in mind I have knocked up the attached as a proposal but happy to modify it..
    Happy to go with the flow and haven't done any research yet, not keen on Spoons but if that's the only option..... , will probably find a greasy spoon before that.
    -W.C.Fields