Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby ( the place, not the game)

Default Rugby ( the place, not the game)

As rail engineering work has scuppered the planned trip to Cambridge and I missed Harrogate I am getting twitchy for a rail away day.

So this morning I did some searching for cheap rail tickets to the Midlands and booked a day trip to Rugby for Wednesday 29th November, primarily because
    1) I missed the official PuG trip to Rugby a few years back and haven’t been for several years.
    2) I could get advanced singles each way at sensible times for under the current price of pint of ale in a Euston pub.( granted with old fogies rail card)
    3) The date fits for when the misses is in Bath doing the Christmas markets and I won’t be confined to the spare bedroom when I get home.

More than happy if any PuG contributors want to tag along.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

I'll be in court that day (jury, not defendant!)

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I'll be in court that day (jury, not defendant!)
    Enjoy...I did mine late May.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Good luck getting past the Seven Stars! (camra discount applies til ~17:00)

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    As rail engineering work has scuppered the planned trip to Cambridge and I missed Harrogate I am getting twitchy for a rail away day.

So this morning I did some searching for cheap rail tickets to the Midlands and booked a day trip to Rugby for Wednesday 29th November, primarily because
    1) I missed the official PuG trip to Rugby a few years back and haven’t been for several years.
    2) I could get advanced singles each way at sensible times for under the current price of pint of ale in a Euston pub.( granted with old fogies rail card)
    3) The date fits for when the misses is in Bath doing the Christmas markets and I won’t be confined to the spare bedroom when I get home.

More than happy if any PuG contributors want to tag along.
    I will bear this in mind Steve,I can currently get return travel for under 40 quid which is good enough, it will mean at least one day off work for me and in reality probably two No promises at this point.
    Upon the collapse of the southern crawl I have now booked two nights in Sheffield on Fri 20 and Sat 21 returning home on the 4pm something train on Sunday, so some serious pubbing ahead, aided and abetted by Big Steve and looking forward to linking up with Will and Retired Martin.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Good luck getting past the Seven Stars! (camra discount applies til ~17:00)
    Yes,which is why I will be leaving that one till the return to the station leg to give some others a fighting chance.
    Most noticeably The Merchants Inn and Raglan Arms, which seems to have been taken over by Black Country Ales since the official PuG visit some 10 years ago now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I will bear this in mind Steve,I can currently get return travel for under 40 quid which is good enough, it will mean at least one day off work for me and in reality probably two No promises at this point.
    OK let us know nearer the time. With seven city centre venues in the recently published GBG24 I dont think we will be bored..

This Space For Hire

Upon the collapse of the southern crawl I have now booked two nights in Sheffield on Fri 20 and Sat 21 returning home on the 4pm something train on Sunday, so some serious pubbing ahead, aided and abetted by Big Steve and looking forward to linking up with Will and Retired Martin.
    Any space for a gatecrasher?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Any space for a gatecrasher?
    Of course, anyone is welcome. Assuming you mean Sheffield as opposed to Rugby, I will arriving in Sheff 12.42 on the Friday and likely straight into the Tap, the rest is still in planning.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Of course, anyone is welcome. Assuming you mean Sheffield as opposed to Rugby, I will arriving in Sheff 12.42 on the Friday and likely straight into the Tap, the rest is still in planning.
    Thanks.

Friday I'll be working in Stockton. But it's a very straightforward drive for the Saturday morning to Sheffield. Hotel prices will be the key. I'm averse to paying £100+ for a noisy room that was quiet and £30 midweek!

(Although I've got my redundancy pay on the way shortly)