Ads not shown when logged in

View Poll Results: Which dates can you make the Cambridge Crawl ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friday 6th October

4 44.44%
  • Saturday 7th October

4 44.44%
  • Friday 13th October

5 55.56%
  • Saturday 14th October

6 66.67%
  • Friday 20th October

3 33.33%
  • Saturday 21st October

5 55.56%
  • Friday 27th October

2 22.22%
  • Saturday 28th October

8 88.89%
  • Friday 3rd November

2 22.22%
  • Saturday 4th November

5 55.56%
  • Friday 10th November

4 44.44%
  • Saturday 11thNovember

4 44.44%
  • Friday17th November

2 22.22%
  • Saturday 18th November

3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Date for PuG crawl in Cambridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    We could do, but this won't eliminate diary conflicts and/or possible rail disruption come February. And the weather could be terrible.
    But it will give us a better chance of arranging a date.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    ..but this won't eliminate diary conflicts and/or possible rail disruption come February.
    Engineering works causing the same disruption on the same line four months later seems unlikely. Is there a publicly available schedule of such works?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Engineering works causing the same disruption on the same line four months later seems unlikely. Is there a publicly available schedule of such works?
    Maybe. But these things aren't a one-off. My local tube station is open or closed on an utterly pot luck basis due to engineering works.

This goes a couple of months into the future

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/status-and-disruptions/

This Space For Hire

Most of the work is for the new station at Cambridge South, which is not scheduled to open until 2025 so could be happening on and off until then.

This was, of course, one of the reasons why Fridays have been preferred to Saturdays. I know that the poll turned up a Saturday as the favourite but perhaps we need to go back to Fridays. And I appreciate that means working folk need to take a day off (as I couldn't on a Friday so didn't attend for many years).
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

With no positive date for October being agreed I shall withdraw as I intend a long weekend away this month and need to get things booked. I think a rethink and new poll for date and possibly venue ( or go with Cardiff if Cambridge is going to be unreliable) given the info in Grahams post. Feb - early March maybe.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Most of the work is for the new station at Cambridge South, which is not scheduled to open until 2025 so could be happening on and off until then.

This was, of course, one of the reasons why Fridays have been preferred to Saturdays. I know that the poll turned up a Saturday as the favourite but perhaps we need to go back to Fridays. And I appreciate that means working folk need to take a day off (as I couldn't on a Friday so didn't attend for many years).
    I've seen rumours while lurking on rail forums that they are considering switching maintenance from weekends, where there's generally a weaker alternative service on other routes, to weekdays - leisure travel has remained strongest while commuting hasn't totally recovered.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    With no positive date for October being agreed I shall withdraw as I intend a long weekend away this month and need to get things booked. I think a rethink and new poll for date and possibly venue ( or go with Cardiff if Cambridge is going to be unreliable) given the info in Grahams post. Feb - early March maybe.
    Likewise,I have made other arrangements now for October.

How about we push Cambridge back as a venue into 2025,that can be our "southern" choice once this rail engineering work is finished.

Rather than poll again for an alternative southern venue ,why not go with second place Cardiff and poll for Fridays and Saturdays in February and March.With 14 options that would take the date choice up to 16th March ? Any objections ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Likewise,I have made other arrangements now for October.

How about we push Cambridge back as a venue into 2025,that can be our "southern" choice once this rail engineering work is finished.

Rather than poll again for an alternative southern venue ,why not go with second place Cardiff and poll for Fridays and Saturdays in February and March.With 14 options that would take the date choice up to 16th March ? Any objections ?
    Sounds very sensible, I agree.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

That makes sense, but shouldn't it be publicised more widely? This thread is - on the face of it - limited to people who were interested in Cambridge this autumn, and who took part in the vote.

How many others are likely to view it?

...why not go with second place Cardiff and poll for Fridays and Saturdays in February and March.With 14 options that would take the date choice up to 16th March ?
    Interesting idea! But are you suggesting this as a "late winter/early spring" crawl, to make up for the missing autumn, and with a normal spring one later on (in April, maybe?).

Or maybe pushing our usual April/Spring crawl back to May or even June?

Sorry if I seem critical, but these seem to me to be difficult decisions for people to be making on a forum like this, without the informal discussion, the flow, and the give & take, of a face to face meeting.

Perhaps we should just drop the autumn crawl for this year only, and start planning for a spring crawl as we would have done if autumn had taken place.
    Come On You Hatters!