Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 13th August 2023)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Not been in the Southampton for about 3month but i think their cask beers are shit.Never had a.great beer in my 20-30 visits but have noticed tht Nev seems to to rate the pub .Strange ?
    I go there once or twice a year ,generally for a long session with a few others.Looking back at my NBSS scores there has been the occasional poor beer (last time Marble Mild NBSS 2 ,end of barrel) but the other beers that session were 3.5 and 4.5. What I like is the range of styles and strengths from some interesting brewers and the boozer vibe.Maybe I've been fortunate,and I can certainly remember a time when standards dropped a lot around 2015 but then recovered *.

* I need to update my review
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 19-08-2023 at 14:41.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Not been in the Southampton for about 3month but i think their cask beers are shit.Never had a.great beer in my 20-30 visits but have noticed tht Nev seems to to rate the pub .Strange ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Very, only recall one poor beer in there in the last couple of years and that turned out to be end of barrel.
    Never had any problem at all at the Southampton, only with the Wild Weather Maple Latte which tasted like a half of melted Mars Bar. As a pub I would prefer the Hackney Cock and the non-national selection at the Barrel Vault is very good; I had an absolutely superb half (then three more halves) of Fyne Ales Highlander at the Hatton Garden CBC last night; if it hadn't been for an annoying loud quartet at the next table then two more halves would have been had.
    One place I think has gone down the pan - at least for the time being I hope - is the Euston Tap, with repeated visits receiving cask beers that taste like lemon barley water.

This Space For Hire

I don't mean poor quality beer just that I never seem to get a beer that I want to have a second one of.

I don't mean poor quality beer just that I never seem to get a beer that I want to have a second one of.
    Fair enough, not a problem I've had though.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Fair enough, not a problem I've had though.
    Yes. Fair enough.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    One place I think has gone down the pan - at least for the time being I hope - is the Euston Tap, with repeated visits receiving cask beers that taste like lemon barley water.
    Have to agree,the selection of real ale often thins out on a Friday now that the big afterwork drinking evening has moved to Thursday.The choice also seems limited with mainly low strength pale and golden ales and I wasn't bowled over by conditioning either.The branch over the road was shut on my last visit and we pushed off down to the Barrel Vault to carry on our session .Must have been a gold mine in the past.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Teetotal

It's frustrating when you can't find a beer that truly satisfies your taste buds. Finding that perfect brew for a second round can be a rewarding quest! Free Fire name style