Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guinness

This Space For Hire

Now who remembers the old bottle-conditioned Guinness? That kept me (relatively) happy in many a fizz bar in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I don't drink Guinness.

Primarily because I had the pleasure of a month working in Cork many many moons ago, and despite what their advertising exec's would have you believe, it really is a different drink on the Emerald Isle, and an experience I have given up trying to replicate in London.
    That would be due to the Liffey Water

My first mrs regularly got drunk on it in the 80s and 90s. Came in two versions...Dublin bottled or London Bottled..but I think all brewed in Dublin. Lets just say the road trip in a tanker did little to improve its taste. The Dublin bottle tasted better.

The bottles were often long lived if sales at the pub were small and the licencee poor at stock control. Some I have seen were as much as five years out of date. Doubt it could happen now with computerised systems.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Now who remembers the old bottle-conditioned Guinness? That kept me (relatively) happy in many a fizz bar in the old days.
    Yep, in fact back in my Home Brew days this was the yeast I used for HB stout, just tip the yeasty dregs from the bottle in to start fermenting your own batch

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Yep, in fact back in my Home Brew days this was the yeast I used for HB stout, just tip the yeasty dregs from the bottle in to start fermenting your own batch
    Now thats clever. I looked on it as sludge in the bottom of the bottle, just so much rubbish. Yet you looked on it as Gold and did something really useful with it.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post

I still bottle and crown cork old Guinness bottles these were all returnable and had a sediment at the bottom,the Guinness tasted really nice with lots of taste to it.
    These bottles of Guinness were not just bottled in London or Dublin,Guinness subcontracted bottleing out to small brewerys and bottlers i have got Guinness bottles bottled by Skinners and Rooks of Eastwood,Holdens Brewery,ABC brewery these are a few that i can remember.

I do admit to my memory being a bit faulty. Come to think about it I sort of remember labels mentioning West Country and even Jersey. But only available locally in those areas. Must have been the reason you saw the distinctive tankers around the place. Thanks Al for tripping the greycells.