Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Warrington

Teetotal

Question Warrington

Anyone know the name of the original name of "The Penketh Friar", I seem to recall it has the something " House" in the 1950/60's.

Teetotal

Default Warrington pub landlords

I have just posted a question, if your local to Warrington maybe you may have the answer?
    The name of a pub in warrington somewhere, the landlord is called chris and he's fifty!

Welcome both ,I hope you get your wishes.
    UKDrifter,Not being local to Warrington I did a fair bit of Googling. The only similar named pub in the area was a Wetherspoons " Friar Penketh" at 4, Barbauld Street, Warrington.. This was a completely new build for Wetherspoons in 2002. Apart from the remains of a medieval priory on site I have not discovered what sort of building, if any,occupied the ground before the present one. Is this the pub that you mean ?

Sizzle ,I think you may have to strike very lucky to get your wish.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi Uk

I dropped an email to my colleagues at the Warrington History Library - this is what i got back....

A colleague in the Museum confirms that this was once the back of the Warrington Co-Op furniture store, which was destroyed in a fire, and that the land had laid derelict for years before the Friar Penketh was built.

Hope that helps
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
    I have just posted a question, if your local to Warrington maybe you may have the answer?
    The name of a pub in warrington somewhere, the landlord is called chris and he's fifty!
    There are places where you may be able to track down some information. Warrington Council may have their register of licensees available online. That may help.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

i have just realised that UKdrifter posted his message 2 years ago - like he will read my reply!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Yeah, I was a bit shocked to see that message resurrected. Someone was recently suggesting to me that I should delete old messages, they may have a point .

Teetotal

Default do.nt time FLY

Quote Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
    The pub in question was the "old house at home" bye