Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pub Of The Month - June 2023

Another vote for The Royal Exchange, Stone.

Consistently good, stunning beer.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    The Ivy House is on my list but south London has such appalling transport links;
    Seriously? I would imagine much of the country would be very pleased if they had the transport facilities available in S.London, the Ivy House admittedly doesn't sit next door to a hub but is between 3 rail stations, the nearest a 15min walk, probably less if taking a bus to get a little nearer.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    3 rail stations, the nearest a 15min walk, probably less if taking a bus to get a little nearer.
    That would more than do out in the sticks.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Seriously? I would imagine much of the country would be very pleased if they had the transport facilities available in S.London...
    Quite true, but the distances aren't comparable and I typically walk 12 miles a day, every day. When I lived in Oxford the transport system was awful, but everything is in walking distance for a fit, 50-something person without shopping or children in tow, so it's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Quite true, but the distances aren't comparable and I typically walk 12 miles a day, every day. When I lived in Oxford the transport system was awful, but everything is in walking distance for a fit, 50-something person without shopping or children in tow, so it's all relative.
    But for everybody living outside of the cities, where buses - if there are any services left at all - hardly exist after 17:30 or on Sundays and bank holidays?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    But for everybody living outside of the cities, where buses - if there are any services left at all - hardly exist after 17:30 or on Sundays and bank holidays?
    Yes. I was in Leominster a few days ago having not been for a year and the town is dying. The rural bus services are dire and if those who can't afford a car can't visit, then the shops suffer, meaning there's increasingly little incentive to visit with an increasingly downward spiral in terms of revenue for privatised bus services, so services become ever fewer.
    The situation in Oxford is dire with roads gridlocked due to roads being cut off with bollards as an initiative causing traffic chaos. Ironically, my sister - who lives in north-east Oxford - has had her bus service into the centre cancelled because of all the congestion, the result of the council wanting to get people out of cars and into buses...

This Space For Hire

Seriously? I would imagine much of the country would be very pleased if they had the transport facilities available in S.London, the Ivy House admittedly doesn't sit next door to a hub but is between 3 rail stations, the nearest a 15min walk, probably less if taking a bus to get a little nearer.
    Err, 100 yds to the bus stop: 343 every 6-10 minutes; 484 every 11-13 minutes; N343 half-hourly all night. That's pretty accessible!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement