Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

Just a quick post, but an overdue one as well. Being"semi-retired" was supposed to mean taking things easy, but the expansion projectat work I got roped in to helping with developed a life of its own, and whilstnot strictly Health & Safety related, there have been contractors to dealwith, safe working practices, permits to be issued etc. The good news is theproject is nearing completion, and once I’ve managed to get the fire andintruder alarm systems bundled together, and handled by just one serviceprovider I shall not only breathe a sigh of relief, but I can cut back on myinvolvement and concentrate on what I’m supposed to be doing.Since returning from our all too brief visit to Yorkshire,I’ve also been pre-occupied with finally sorting out our summerhouse, gardenshed, and the garden itself, and last weekend I had one of those moments whereeverything seemed to come together. This afforded the rare opportunity (forme), of an evening out, with friends and acquaintances from West Kent CAMRA,even though I arrived rather late to the party.
A son, who had a late finish at work last night, meant anequally late evening meal, so whilst the CAMRA crowd were engaged on athree-pub walkabout in Tonbridge, I only manged to catch up with them at thefinal watering hole. Mind you Fuggles was a good place for me to both start andfinish on, and when I did catch up with my friends, I discovered there was agood crowd, plus an excellent atmosphere in the Forester’s, but the beer(Shep’s), was nowhere near as good.
The Chequers had Harvey’s Best, plus St Austell Tribute on,and the report from the CAMRA party was the Harvey’s was in fine form. Ye OldeChequers, to give the pub its proper name, is one of the oldest buildings inTonbridge, and one of the most attractive as well, but in my view at least, itnever quite delivers in terms of that full pub experience. This might havesomething to do with it being a Courage house, when I first moved to the town,but it’s probably more to do with a succession of managers playing it safe, byopting for a safe,“middle of the road” approach.
I don’t mean that disparagingly, although it might soundlike it, but what I do mean is that this historic and attractive buildingreally is crying out for its spot on the tourist trail. It does seem as though nolicensee to date has managed to exploit the true potential of this picturesque oldpub. All is not lost, as walking past the Chequers earlier today, I noticedthe pub’s menu, displayed outside, and it did show a real determined effort wasbeing made, to go after the lunchtime trade. And so, to Fuggles, my second visit in three days, as Icalled in for a quick one last Sunday afternoon, following a visit to theopticians. The CAMRA crowd were only a few minutes ahead of me, and werestanding at the bar, perusing the pump clips and chalk board whilst decidingwhat to drink. It was a no-brainer, as far as I was concerned, as Lagonda, a5.0% pale ale from Manchester brewers, Marble Beers was the beer with the most appeal.My second beer of the evening was Best Bitter from Brighton-based, UnBarredBrewery. This was much more traditional in style, than the first beer, and if I’mhonest, much more middle of the road.
Fuggles was quite busy when we first arrived, but people weresloping off gradually, and by the time last orders were called, there was just ourselvesplus a couple sitting nearby, left. So, a quick snapshot of the mid-week pubtrade, in a provincial English town, that just happens to be the one I have livedin for the past 40 years.

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...