Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspicous publicans

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Suspicous publicans

Is it just me or have others had questions asked by publicans when taking pictures, sort of "What are you up to?" type of thing

I would expect maybe if I was inside snapping away, but I'm not, I am on public pavement mostly

Perhaps I should add my camera looks & is a real camera, not a pocket one or phone, but one with a and viewfinder held up to eye, so perhaps I stand out more than sneaky snappers

I used to say I was putting them on PG, but this sometimes provoked more questions, so now I just tell them I take pictures of pubs and not from Council and no bulldozers arriving, seems to satisfy their curiosity and they mark me down as a harmless old duffer

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Is it just me or have others had questions asked by publicans when taking pictures, sort of "What are you up to?" type of thing

I would expect maybe if I was inside snapping away, but I'm not, I am on public pavement mostly

Perhaps I should add my camera looks & is a real camera, not a pocket one or phone, but one with a and viewfinder held up to eye, so perhaps I stand out more than sneaky snappers

I used to say I was putting them on PG, but this sometimes provoked more questions, so now I just tell them I take pictures of pubs and not from Council and no bulldozers arriving, seems to satisfy their curiosity and they mark me down as a harmless old duffer
    I dont get asked, as i have just started doing it and i tend to describe interiors and will just take externals of those not already done.

To be honest - i marked you down as a harmless old duffer too

I tend to carry around a real camera too, I think that these days having a camera that you raise to your eye instantly arouses a lot of suspicion. I've never been asked what I'm up to although I sometimes don't bother taking pictures if there are people around.

I'm some of our other prolific photographers must suffer that sort of issue though, hopefully some of them will drop by and contribute here.

Do spare a thought for Phillip Carter though, who described his experience of getting a photo of the Three Bells at Heathrow Airport

Top bloke - that's dedication.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2311166742_7e71c2f9e5.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	4  

Spritzer Swallower

Many landlords viewed young Farway's photographic intentions with more than a little suspicion!

Farway couldn't work out why they wouldn't take him seriously!

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Like Dave M, I tend not to bother if there's people about. With smokers & good weather, there's often a few outside, so I'd tend to give it a miss - I feel I don't need the hassle (or possible hassle, or maybe I'm too miserable and just don't fancy a conversation? Actually that sounds most likely.).

There's also the possibility that pub-goers wouldn't want to be identified for whatever reason (see also Google Street-View). For that reason, I smudge out car registrations before posting.

Hi Paul,

Greetings, as i haven't spoken to you before!

I know what you mean, on many of my reviews i make the point that i am quite miserable and like to be left alone, saying that, i got chatting to a bloke in the Lamp, Bloxwich, last night, on historical matters, so was happy as Larry.

I think some of the pubs i have been to are that scruffy, i would smudge out the whole pub if i could, but then, i guess that defeats the object!

It is a serious question of course, i have to 'close off' some old school photos for example, under Data Protection, because they give names and addresses. People get worried over such things and prefer not to take pics in case they get sued for something!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well obviously from our perspective we love you mention Pubs Galore to the landlords, anything for free advertising.

I do sympathise though, I have to admit I wouldn't be keen to go to the extents some of our contributers who are getting shots from numerous angles. Although I don't even own a camera, just my phone.

They really do brighten the site up and add some personality, so thanks to all the picture contributers.

We have an amazing collection now though and I am constantly wondering what to do with them to try and get more out of them. I have it in my mind to create a bit of a silly game with them, so you can go to a town and get presented with a random image and have to guess which pub it is from a multiple choice.

Gods, when it comes to this site my eyes are so much bigger than my stomach, I will never finish all the work I have in mind