Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Porthcawl ?

Default Porthcawl ?

Hi all,

My next glamorous trip is a couple of nights in Porthcawl next month! The last time I went I was at school so I know nothing about the pubs.

As usual, any suggestions/recommendations are more than welcome. As you all know I am equally interested in visiting the pubs to avoid so don't hold back !

Cheers,

Del.

I am a salmon !!

Porthcrawl? (Some eejit's got to be the first to say it, so it might as well be me...)

We stayed in Portc(r)awl for a long weekend when Spurs played in the League Cup final in the days it was held in Cardiff. This was just before the likes of BITE came on the scene so there were no clues to what we would find. The pubs were pretty dire if I recall, mainly bars in B&B's and hotels. On the way back from the match on the Sunday we stopped short in Llantwit Major (a couple of decent pubs there) rather than trape around Portcawl for a second evening trying finding somewhere decent! It may have changed a bit since then (2002) but I wouldn't have thought so. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Hi all,

My next glamorous trip is a couple of nights in Porthcawl next month! The last time I went I was at school so I know nothing about the pubs.

As usual, any suggestions/recommendations are more than welcome. As you all know I am equally interested in visiting the pubs to avoid so don't hold back !

Cheers,

Del.
    Try the Lorelei Hotel.

I haven't been myself, but a friend who had to spend a couple of days working in Porthcawl told me it was his lifesaver. It's GBG 2011 listed as well, so it's got to be worth a try.

Take your camera, there's hardly any photos on PuG.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Last visited about a year ago, stayed at the Seabank Hotel which is an overrated four star art deco pile at the posh end of town.
    Porthcawl has improved since most of the surrounding decaying steel industry has been removed. It is still "caravan land " for alot of Midlanders and their families.Smaller than Rhyl it has much the same atmosphere.A small area containing a fair, two family friendly bars come eateries, and a line of lock up shops selling everything you would never want to buy make up the seaside facilities.
    As far as the town goes I only drove through it once. I hung a left instead of driving straight on.Crowds of holiday makers ismy only lasting impression.OH and it rains and the wind really whips up the Bristol Channel. I hope you get good weather but reckon you are not going there to sunbathe.

Extra Bit...One of the seaside bars is the Hi Tide Inn which I reviewed last october. Must have been the last break me and the last mrs took together. What a last memory to take with you into the here after. The High Tide Inn at Porthcawl.....Lawdee Me.
    Last edited by arwkrite; 01-10-2010 at 11:33.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Last visited about a year ago, stayed at the Seabank Hotel which is an overrated four star art deco pile at the posh end of town.
    Porthcawl has improved since most of the surrounding decaying steel industry has been removed. It is still "caravan land " for alot of Midlanders and their families.Smaller than Rhyl it has much the same atmosphere.A small area containing a fair, two family friendly bars come eateries, and a line of lock up shops selling everything you would never want to buy make up the seaside facilities.
    As far as the town goes I only drove through it once. I hung a left instead of driving straight on.Crowds of holiday makers ismy only lasting impression.OH and it rains and the wind really whips up the Bristol Channel. I hope you get good weather but reckon you are not going there to sunbathe.

Extra Bit...One of the seaside bars is the Hi Tide Inn which I reviewed last october. Must have been the last break me and the last mrs took together. What a last memory to take with you into the here after. The High Tide Inn at Porthcawl.....Lawdee Me.
    I shall have a pint in the Hi Tide Inn and dedicate to you !!

Don't worry RobCamra, I will get some photos done - Just to annoy Mrs Delboy if nothing else. She finds it incredibly embarrassing when I photograph pubs !!

I am a salmon !!

I've been to the Lorelei, and can recommend it. They serve a good variety of real ales as well as continental beers. It has to be the best hotel/pub in Porthcawl! Although technically a hotel, it passes itself off as a pub quite well.