Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

Regular readers will remember that at the end of August2022, I received an invitation to visit Hukins Hops, at their hop farm at StMichaels, near Tenterden. The invitation was received, courtesy of Dom, from UKBrewery Tours, and on the allotted day, I met up with several other members of the British Guildof Beer Writers, and other interested parties, at Headcorn station, where apre-booked taxi transported us to Hukins home, at Haffeneden Farm.Our smallgroup spent several hours at the farm, where we were shown around, and then ledon a walking tour through several hop fields (or gardens, to give them theircorrect name). Dom acted as our guide, as owner, Ross Hukins, was tiedup making sure everything was in order for the impending hop harvest. Pickingand then drying the hops, represents the busiest, and most important time ofthe year for every hop farmer, and it is crucial that the precious harvest isgathered in at just the right moment.
You can read more about that scorching hot, late August dayhere, but for the record, I had the pleasure of meeting Ross a few yearsearlier, when we both acted as beer judges, at the Spa Valley Railway BeerFestival. Ross has just released some exciting news which, after theintroductory stuff, is the main focus of this post. According to an article in KentOnlinea brewery with a taproom and brasserie is set to open, at Haffeneden Farm. Itwill be housed in the farm’s old oast house, which became surplus torequirements, three years ago, following the opening of a modern hop processingfacility.
It was this facility that my fellow Beer Writers and I hadinspected last August when it was being made ready for the impending hopharvest. I remember at the time there was talk about finding a new use for theold oast house, and I vaguely remember a brewery being suggested. Thoseinitial, sketchy plans have come to fruition, as Hukins secured planningpermission in February to transform the historic oast house into a brewery,plus attached restaurant, offering pizza and beer.
Ross Hukins broke the news saying how excited he is aboutthis new project, which will be opening with a soft launch, set for July. Heclaims that the combined offer at the farm will be the first of its kind in Kentand is also a huge leap forward for this family-owned business, which has beengoing for more than 100 years. After redeveloping the old oast house, Hukinsstarted doing tours and began looking at how they could open themselves up tothe public and help them learn more about hops and their importance in localKentish beers.
They decided that an on-site brewery, would be a good way,not only of reflect the former use of the oast house, but also of getting theirmessage across. The brewery they have partnered with is McCannsBrewery – a company I am not really familiar with although according to Untappd,they have a connection to the Angels & Demons Brewery, based at Capel-le-Ferne,near Dover. A photo of Ross Gandon, manager at McCanns, pictured alongside RossHukins, featured in the KentOnline article. Like other local beer enthusiasts,I am looking forward to sampling what McCanns have to offer once they are up andrunning.
As well as the brasserie and taproom where people can comeon tours, taste the beers, and enjoy some food, there will also be four to fiveglamping units onsite so people can stay overnight. These will range from shepherdshuts, hop pickers huts and a converted brick building where people can stay andexplore the farm, see what goes on there. Ross stated how excited he was tohave the brewery on the family hop farm; something he describes as quite unique,that will allow people to come along, learn a bit about the beer and enjoythemselves.
He concluded by saying, "Hops play a crucial role todaybut also historically with the local landscape and community. It is a reallyimportant part of our local agricultural history. With the number of modern brewers,we have in Kent now, with the Kent brewing scene flourishing, this will be agreat way of signposting to all the different types of beers they can getlocally and how important British hops are in those beers.”Local residents will have a sneak peek at the development at the farm when it will be opens on June 11thas part of National Farm Open Day, although the rest ofus will have to wait a little longer. I’m looking forward to visiting, when thehop farm brewery complex opens its doors to the general public, although if I’mreally lucky, I might get a sneak preview of my own.
Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...