Visit the Paul Bailey's Beer Blog site

There’s some good news for all of us who enjoy travelling bybus, especially when there’s a pub visit or two involved, along the way. Thiscomes after a government announcement that the £2 fare cap on most local buses,will be extended until the end of October. It will then continue for a further13 months at £2.50 for a single journey. The package came as subsidies forlocal bus services was increased by another £500m. It will also help ease fearsabout a further decline in local services.
Bus operators, who had warned that up to 15% of routes couldbe lost when existing funding was due to run out at the end of June, welcomedthe news but said it would not be enough to save every service. Covid recoverygrants, a subsidy to address the continued shortfall in passenger numbers, werealso set to expire next month. The fare cap scheme, which is supported by thebiggest operators, will cost about £200m, while the government will also commitanother £300m in funding for bus services until 2025.
The Department for Transport said the move, which wasbrought in as a temporary measure last year to boost the numbers of peopleusing buses, would help support people with the cost of living and ensurestability in the sector. The Confederation of Passenger Transport, representingbus operators, said the two-year funding settlement recognised the value ofbuses. Its chief executive, Graham Vidler, said: “It will enable bus operatorsand local authorities to plan, promote and grow services with greaterconfidence.”
“However, the combination of the funding settlement and the£2 fare cap extension will not save every service in every part of the country.Operators and local authorities will now work together to study the detail ofthe government’s proposals and ensure that the funding is used to safeguard thebest possible network for local passengers.”So, as I said at the start of the article, this is welcomenews for those who prefer to be driven to the pub, rather than getting behindthe wheel ourselves – something that is not sociably responsible, and which couldleave us open to breaking the law, or even causing a serious RTA (Road TrafficAccident). But whilst potentially providing a welcome boost to the beleaguered pubtrade during the hours of daylight, it is of little use in rural areas, wheremost bus services cease operating once it gets dark.
The price cap makes little difference to me, as I alreadyhave my OAP Concessionary Travel Pass, which allows me to travel free after9.30am weekdays, and anytime weekends and Bank Holidays. I guess that many amongstCAMRA’s aging membership are in the same boat, so it’s encouraging to see thecampaign throwing its weight behind the scheme, but it is not the universalpanacea for the pub trade.Consequently, don’t expect busloads of drunken seniorcitizens, making their way home from the pub, but also don’t expect a massiveshift onto public transport, from those who, for a variety of reasons, still preferto drive. Travelling by bus, takes a certain amount of forward planning, andmany people are either too lazy, or don’t quite have the wherewithal to look upbus routes, and check timetables. Dare I say that you have to be a bit of ageek to do this, even though, in my experience at least, it is well worth theeffort.
The government have said they would review the effectivenessof the fare cap, at the end of 2024, when a general election is expected totake place. Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak, said: “By extending the £2 fare cap,we’re making sure bus travel remains accessible and affordable for everyone,while helping to ease cost of living pressures. Buses connect our communitiesand play a vital role in growing the economy, which is why we’re determined toprotect local routes and encourage more people on to the bus, ensuring peoplecan get around easily and in an affordable way.”That certainly sounds like electioneering on Sunak’s part,but you can’t really blame him for trying, especially give that much else touched by the Tories, has gone to pot. But let’s give credit where it’sdue, as for my part, despite having a bus pass, increase bus usage will go someway to help save threatened routes, and will enable my friends and I to visitand support some of our most attractive and characterful rural pubs, and even afew urban ones, when visiting a different town, or city.

Follow Blog via EmailClick to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

More...