Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pubs Galore visitor and usage stats

Default Pubs Galore visitor and usage stats

I have been delving through the PG database to find out some more about what happens on this site and thought I'd share some of it here.

First off I think it is worth mentioning that most visitors to the site are looking for information and have no interest in contributing. So even if it feels a bit lonely adding stuff in your area there are certainly people out there who appreciate it.

Over the last 30 days we have had around 130,000 visits to the site. Of those 144 people have registered as new users on the site. I believe that to be around a fairly typical ratio for this type of site.

Next I looked at some of the totals on PG.
    Total pubs that are marked as open = 52,612
    Total pubs with at least 1 photo = 26,102 (total photos = 61,706)
    Total pubs with at least 1 comment = 10,053

Clearly we need to encourage more people to write reviews on the site. But I do believe we probably have the most complete and up to date list of pubs and the biggest collection of photos.

I will follow up with some more info on activity and turnaround times when I've worked them out!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Have you any stats on how many found a review useful or not?

Just curious really as AFAIK there is no visible feedback on the pub site, like say 3 found this review useful

Good question.

The 'Did you find this recommendation helpful' option is only available to registered users as they browse the site, so it hasn't been used a huge amount. There are 750 examples of people using the feature.

If someone clicks yes then the message '1 of 1 users found this helpful' appears next to it. If you want to see a rather comical example check out the Elm Cottage. I suspect that may have been the same person 4 times!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M;1126 If you want to see a rather comical example check out the [URL="http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/21216/"
    Elm Cottage[/URL]. I suspect that may have been the same person 4 times!
    Seems like a "wonderful venue" Must rush off and visit

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I am not actually sure how we check if a review was useful, it is a perplexing problem, people are far more prone to want to complain than congratulate, so most will mark reviews negatively, but won't put in a positive mark against a good review.

At some point I would like to do an Amazon-esque top 100 reviewer mark so that visitors can feel more confident that some reviewers are genuine reviewers rather than people with agendas. I feel like we should have a more robust system than, I liked the reviews so I will give it to them however.

All ideas welcomed as ever.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just as a bit of an addition to this, we have been mentioning BITE a lot on this forum, and I feel like we are giving them good advertising when there are other sites out there deserving of attention. I am not sure how many have found it but PubUtopia is another one out there with exceptional coverage particularly in Lancashire and Scotland, it is another site that has been around for many years and its owner Dale does continue to improve it.

Dale and I have chatted a number of times and he was very quick to send me best wishes when I was treated for Leukaemia a few years back. A top bloke who cares about his site and deserves a mention.

Conrad