Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google placement of Pubs Galore pages

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    For instance, if I know a pub has a website but haven't visited to do a review is it worth adding the web link?
    I hope so, else I've wasted quite a lot of time over the last few months...

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Does that 'extra content' extend to web links Dave? For instance, if I know a pub has a website but haven't visited to do a review is it worth adding the web link?
    Dave can give a proper answer with regard to the Google placement. But in answer to to the question of is it worth adding a web link, I think so - it means that other users of the site can see other information regarding that pub, be it the official site for the pub, or a dedicated reviewer like Quinno who is running his own personal guide.

Does that 'extra content' extend to web links Dave? For instance, if I know a pub has a website but haven't visited to do a review is it worth adding the web link?
    From a search engine perspective that is a tough one to answer with much certainty.

I figure there are two ways Google could look at just a link on a page.
    1) Because we are linking to a page that is about exactly the same thing that our page is claiming to be about then it is a good thing and helps reinforce our page.
    2) If there is not much other content on our page then perhaps our page only exists to send visitors to the 'real' site and so should be ignored.

Now I don't know if either of those come into play and I've not seen any particular evidence either way.

Hopefully though the overall effect of adding something to the page - including the little summary that I put next to it once I've reviewed it - all helps to distinguish our pages and leads to an overall positive effect.

Regardless of any search engine effects it makes our site better for real people using it which is the more important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I hope so, else I've wasted quite a lot of time over the last few months...
    Certainly not wasted at all, I know some of the ones you've submitted are particularly helpful. If at some point in the future we start listing the PubCo/Brewery that owns a pub then we will already have a lot of seed data by just looking at the links we have to Fullers, Youngs, Shepherd Neame etc.

This Space For Hire

One thing - I know it's fun to point out the goings on on another pub review website but does linking to it in fact promote it up Google's league table? I know it sounds a bit killjoyish but if that were the case it would be rather self-defeating.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Depends on how you look at it, the pages we are promoting tend to be a bit of a negative advertisement for the site, so in terms of promotion on Google I am not too bothered.

That said I don't like to point and laugh on the basis that the trolls in general are not here and I am happy to not have to deal with it, there but for the grace of God and all that.

There is a lot of stuff in here I don't understand. Someones being getting educated and it ain't me. I suppose it is a good job that there is a lad down in the engine room that understands the mechanical gubbins. I am glad its not me.
    Keep up the good work Dave and don't let the Bots and Links get you down, Conrad has some cream you can put on them.
    I will make no further comment because I haven't a clue what I am on about but thats nothing unusual.Dammit, I think I may be sober. Lawd we can't be having that.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Dammit, I think I may be sober. Lawd we can't be having that.
    You're not alone, arky, I'm and it's still sailin over me 'ead. Keep up the good work, lads, whatever the hell it may be..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........