Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pubs as a Social Service

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Pubs as a Social Service

I mainly go into pubs lunchtimes or afternoons, I have noticed over the years that pubs [or more importantly the landlord / lady] have what I can only call a social conscience

For instance the two pubs I mostly use have regulars at lunchtime, mostly like me, and where these regulars may be a bit, shall we say, infirm or just "odd" the landlord / lady goes out of their way to help them

This can range from advising on menu, carrying drinks to a table, and in one case, taking the home phone number of a live alone person, to check if any problems should they not show up for a few days

I think this is what a community pub is about, not just beer but people

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I mainly go into pubs lunchtimes or afternoons, I have noticed over the years that pubs [or more importantly the landlord / lady] have what I can only call a social conscience

For instance the two pubs I mostly use have regulars at lunchtime, mostly like me, and where these regulars may be a bit, shall we say, infirm or just "odd" the landlord / lady goes out of their way to help them

This can range from advising on menu, carrying drinks to a table, and in one case, taking the home phone number of a live alone person, to check if any problems should they not show up for a few days

I think this is what a community pub is about, not just beer but people
    At the Baum we have a regular called George. He's been coming in every night at 10 for as long as anyone can remember. He only has one pint, but he certainly savours it.

A couple of months ago he didn't turn up. By 20 past 10 people were trying to find his phone number with no luck. Eventually someone went the 1.5 miles to where he lives to check on him. He'd fallen asleep in the chair.

His phone number is now written on a post-it behind the bar. Proper community service.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 30-09-2010 at 15:11.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We had a gent called Bruce who used to come in for Gin & Orange most Wednesday afternoons. He lived under care at a local hospital, but had a fantastic sense of humour. He didn't want to leave any money behind when he passed because he didn't want 'those thieving rogues' to get any of it, so every Wednesday he'd potter around the shops, buy something and then try and give it to us or the staff. Things like what I knew as a tuck-box - a large chest you took all your gear to boarding school in and once it was unpacked you'd lock your 'tuck' in it. Or a rather ornate bread bin. Quite often the local taxis would be booked up, so we'd run him home. When he didn't come in for 3 weeks we made enquiries - he'd been moved to another, more suitable place.

But yes, pubs in general do remind me that there are some extremely pleasant human beings out there.
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Like Eddie86 I live in a small rural town. I use two of the eight pubs in town , one as my local hangout the other as regular visitor where they know my drink and preferred spot but apart from that little else. My local since November has surprised me by the amount of knowledge it accrued from customers who knew of me. Very working class ( or none working as the case may be ) its the place where builders , mechanics, odds and sods pop in and the chat is always local. The two barmaids are very quick to pick up on anyones absence and know who to ask as to the missing persons welfare. The other pub is probably just as caring. The customer base is more retired middle class, friendly enough but very cliquey with the consequent grouping when the bar fills up. Not being in a clique muggins finds himself talking to the pub cat or one of the labradors doing the rounds.
    When travelling about I often notice, even in the big pubs, that older folk or those with a brick or two missing are looked after by a certain sort of customer and bar staff. Others sadly could not give a toss.