Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Save the Wenlock

Default Save the Wenlock

As most of us are aware, the Wenlock Arms, one of London's top beer holes, is under threat of closure and demolision, possibly as early as next month. Not sure how much we can do but there are a few suggestions on their web site and I have sent my show of support to them http://www.wenlock-arms.co.uk/ . This really isn't good news for us London based drinkers. Maybe some of us can have a London meet up here to show our support before it's too late.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I presume that the current owners could choose who they sell to and, despite comments suggesting that they would prefer it to remain a pub, it would be difficult for them to turn down a (presumably) higher bid from a developer, as opposed to a buyer intending to keep it as a going concern public house.
    Am I being deluded in thinking the seller could stipulate, at least short-term, conditions on future use?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Am I being deluded in thinking the seller could stipulate, at least short-term, conditions on future use?
    Nope. So long as you have a good lawyer, you can put pretty much whatever covenants you want into a sale or lease document (after all, it's what Enterprise were busy doing for years).

Obviously it will devalue the sale price though...

TBH, the Wenlock is sat slap-bang in what is currently prime development land. If the owners are looking to sell in order to fund a long and happy reitrement, I can't see who could compete wiith the deep pockets of property developers.

The stumbling block for the property developers will be a change of use application, which is now a lot harder to obtain than it was a couple of years back. However that doesn't stop unscrupulous developers demolishing the place beforehand without permission. Early Sunday mornings are their favourite times.

I suppose on a bright note If they do sell too developers it should raise a good Price. This would be good if they want too buy a Pub somewhere else theres a few decent local Pubs empty at present that could be brought back into use.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The model followed by the Highgate Brewery campaign seems to have been relatively effective. I'm guessing however the Brewery aspect was influential though.

Does anyone have any examples of successful campaigns, it would be nice to try and centralise these as we do seem to regularly see this issue now.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Does anyone have any examples of successful campaigns, it would be nice to try and centralise these as we do seem to regularly see this issue now.
    The Vulcan in Cardiff springs to mind, a very successful campaign but probably not over yet. Don't know if anyone's got an update on the situation there?

The Pineapple in Kentish Town was saved from the developers after a long campaign as was the Prince of Wales in Aberdeen and the Nell Gwynne off the Strand to name but 3. The legendary Sun at Lantwardine keeps going thanks to a volunteer workforce. It can be done if enough people shout loud enough although it doesn't produce a happy ending.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The Dodford Inn, Dodford, Worcs was saved from developers. CAMRA and the village itself were involved in the campaign on that one.

The Jolly Anglers in Reading, saved by local residents and the local CAMRA branch. Though the current landlord seems busy running the goodwill towards the pub into the ground.

I shall be hoping to get a pint or three in at the Wenlock on Saturday, if things work out.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Roger, do you know if CAMRA are involved with The Wenlock?