Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Drinks

I am talking different tipple here.. I used to love to drink Hooch (remember them?) in mid 1990's and that was before I converted to real ale. Anyway, I find today's current alcopop rather plain and fizzy. Now I miss Hooch especially blackcurrant flavour. Wow what a taste.

Whatever happened to Hooch?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I am talking different tipple here.. I used to love to drink Hooch (remember them?) in mid 1990's and that was before I converted to real ale. Anyway, I find today's current alcopop rather plain and fizzy. Now I miss Hooch especially blackcurrant flavour. Wow what a taste.

I have no idea if this is true, but I had it in my head that it was voluntarily withdrawn due to the negative publicity it was continually attracting and just replaced with all the other brands.

It was a great gateway drink though, I remember liking it when I wasn't in the mood for lager, the lemon one was my preference.

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Ah, the dawn of the alcopops. I remember Hooch first turning up during an unusually hot summer - think it was 1995 - and my memory suggests it was very soon afterwards that the media hysteria began, when drinks such as Mad Dog 20/20 and the ilk began appearing on shelves. IIRC, it was a drink called Two Dogs Alcoholic Lemonade which kick-started the whole thing, but Hooch was backed by superior marketing/distribution or something and stole their thunder.

In a way I can understand the media’s reaction, brightly coloured sweet drinks with high alcohol content, but I’m dubious as to whether they ever really had an impact on the drinking habits of the young. Having said that I can recall (somewhat fuzzily) some extremely drunk weekends, with Saturday morning breakfasts accompanied by a bottle of Reef, which basically tasted exactly like orange juice, but was 6% abv. And then we’d start drinking…
    And you can really taste the hops!

Do you remember Hooch's limited edition of Sex on the Beach flavour? Oh what a great time.. I remember I must have drank 20 of these during Euro 96 between England V Scotland in Gallant Hussar, Derby.

Tasted like pineapple/coconut and very dangerously drinkable..

Not long after came along Smirnoff's Moscow Mule and Metz.. The latter is personal favourite of me.. very sharp lemon taste.

J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Anybody remember Thunderbirds ? No, not that puppet show - FAB !! I mean the drink !!
    I seem to remember it came in 2 varieties - one stronger than the other. We used to get it from Beryl's off licence - she would serve anybody.

After that came 20/20. It looked like pop but blew your head off. We used to take it on coaches to away games cleverly disguised in pop bottles !!

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

Pony. "The little drink with the big kick" - a hunt through Google reveals it was British cream sherry made in Paignton, of all places. I never knew that at the time. The genius was that they could charge more than the price of a pint for about 2oz of British chemicals - Babycham was another one, also coincidentally west country based. I remember blokes of my father's generation whinging like hell because taking their wives and teenage daughters out to the pub involved vast expenditure on this stuff.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Cherry B was around the same time. All had their own glasses too.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I have no idea if this is true, but I had it in my head that it was voluntarily withdrawn due to the negative publicity it was continually attracting and just replaced with all the other brands.

It was a great gateway drink though, I remember liking it when I wasn't in the mood for lager, the lemon one was my preference.
    It also enabled the invention of the Turbo Shandy, which some claim to be a great pick me up where a long drink is required to combat dehydration but the stomach too delicate for neat beer. I've never put it to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    He got shot at the end trying to save Tom Hanks. He was alright though, and went on to have puppies.

Anyway, if I remember right, it was Two Dogs that got into the market first but they were the Betamax to Hooch's VHS.

Here's what happened to Hooch
    Last edited by Quinno; 28-09-2010 at 12:41. Reason: better link added

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Dont know how common it is in other parts of the country , i have not seen it for years , but the Coalport in Oakengates is promoting Skol at £2 a pint
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !