Back in September, I took my brothers on a pub crawl down in Digbeth. We started off in the ever excellent Bull Ring Tavern.

I ordered three Milds, but was stopped in my tracks by my brothers who asked for Brown and Mild. So we had three Brown Ales and Milds. My brothers' eyes lit up when they received Manns Brown Ale.

I thought that Brown and Mild was utterly delicious, but I don't ever remember having it before. The barmaid in the Bull Ring Tavern knew exactly what we were asking for. I have ordered it in pubs since, but the barstaff have no idea what I am talking about. After I have explained it, I have to order a half of Mild, a bottle of Brown Ale and an empty pint glass. Its invariably Newcastle Brown and it isn't as nice as Manns.

Now my brothers are 10 years older than me and the 70s were their formative years, whereas mine were the 80s. The drink of choice I remember back in the 80s for teenagers out drinking was a Snakebite - a mix of Lager and Cider. Unfortunately, Cider provokes unsociable side effects in me, so I have learned to avoid it.

What other retro beer based drinks are out there, that are still do-able?