Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro Drinks

Hybrid View

Default Retro Drinks

Back in September, I took my brothers on a pub crawl down in Digbeth. We started off in the ever excellent Bull Ring Tavern.

I ordered three Milds, but was stopped in my tracks by my brothers who asked for Brown and Mild. So we had three Brown Ales and Milds. My brothers' eyes lit up when they received Manns Brown Ale.

I thought that Brown and Mild was utterly delicious, but I don't ever remember having it before. The barmaid in the Bull Ring Tavern knew exactly what we were asking for. I have ordered it in pubs since, but the barstaff have no idea what I am talking about. After I have explained it, I have to order a half of Mild, a bottle of Brown Ale and an empty pint glass. Its invariably Newcastle Brown and it isn't as nice as Manns.

Now my brothers are 10 years older than me and the 70s were their formative years, whereas mine were the 80s. The drink of choice I remember back in the 80s for teenagers out drinking was a Snakebite - a mix of Lager and Cider. Unfortunately, Cider provokes unsociable side effects in me, so I have learned to avoid it.

What other retro beer based drinks are out there, that are still do-able?

This Space For Hire

Brown ale (but not Newcastle Brown) is (in most cases was) the bottle version of mild, as light ale is of bitter. I see from Ratebeer Manns is now brewed at Burtonwood.

You're lucky to find anyone who knows what a light and bitter is nowadays, let alone brown and mild.

I haven't come across anyone drinking lager and lime for ages.

Am currently drinking Mackeson's Stout and Mild. Am taking it in turns between Cain's Mild and Banks's Mild.

Delicious! I remember my old Nan drinking Mackeson's.

Back when I was a bit more agile we used to play football on a Sunday afternoon. The pubs were shut in those days !!
    We all used to meet in the pub at 7 on the dot and we always started off with a " Mickey Mouse " - Half bitter and half lager. It was a Banks's pub so I am guessing it would have been Harp lager and Banks's bitter. Very refreshing if my memory serves me well.
    I have no idea why it was called Mickey Mouse though !!

I am a salmon !!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Back in the day a pint of "mixed" was bitter and mild, popular in the NW in the late 70's. Student days saw snakebite, never got on with that. A lads holiday in Cornwall on meeting some local lads introduced us to "red cider", ie a pint of scrumpy with a glass of red wine on top. It did the damage you'd expect.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Back in the day a pint of "mixed" was bitter and mild, popular in the NW in the late 70's. Student days saw snakebite, never got on with that. A lads holiday in Cornwall on meeting some local lads introduced us to "red cider", ie a pint of scrumpy with a glass of red wine on top. It did the damage you'd expect.
    A popular one round here was a Passion Flower , Stella , 1080 cider and Pernod and Black , it was impossible to drink anything on top of this without projectile vomiting , happy days
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

A few months ago the Station in Oakengates were running a promotion of Brown and Mild , Black and Tan , Light and Bitter and a few others all £2 a pint .

I am sure we have had a similar thread a few months ago
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Back when I was a bit more agile we used to play football on a Sunday afternoon. The pubs were shut in those days !!
    We all used to meet in the pub at 7 on the dot and we always started off with a " Mickey Mouse " - Half bitter and half lager. It was a Banks's pub so I am guessing it would have been Harp lager and Banks's bitter. Very refreshing if my memory serves me well.
    I have no idea why it was called Mickey Mouse though !!
    "Golden" they called that in some parts. Black and Tan you don't see any more either, Guinness and mild, or bitter depending who you ask. It was always good for winding up new bar staff in the hope that they put the Guinness in first, thus ending up with an unholy mess, though good for getting you chucked out for the night too if you'd already got on the guvnor's nerves enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Black and Tan you don't see any more either, Guinness and mild, or bitter depending who you ask.
    Some Wetherspoons currently have a cask (i.e. pre-mixed) Black and Tan from Naylors Brewery.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I found a keg Manns Chestnut Mild last week when I was in Llandudno. It came as a bit of a blast from the past and was pretty good.

I think the popularity of bottled beers with a half pint has waned over the years. I often see people asking for 'half and half' in the South or a 'mix' in the North, generally being a half of mild and a half of bitter, or even two halves of bitter, e.g. GK IPA & Abbot. I find this usually involves two beers from the same brewery.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.