Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Good luck Ed, Hay on Wye Beer Fest

I know Ed has been working hard on his first beer festival:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WebBannerBeerFestival.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	388
    Anyone wanting to read about his extensive prep can see his blog.

Anyway enough pimping, just to say good luck and I hope it is so busy that you are at the edge of your ability to organise it , but not beyond.

Have a really good weekend Ed.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Have a really good weekend Ed.
    I'd like to wish you all the best as well. For a first attempt it sounds mightily impressive. I can imagine all the hard work that's gone into it. Good luck.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I'd like to wish you all the best as well.
    Having just read your blog, I can only echo the sentiments expressed by Conrad and a&h, my only problem is that I can't be there. May you be drunk dry and may any problems be easily solvable. Above all, may you enjoy every minute..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Thanks all, the festival was great fun, although I've got the tidy up and take down still to do.

Attendance wasn't great, especially on the Sunday and the festival certainly made a loss. However, as this was the first year it has to be remembered all the capital costs - the marquees are affectively 'free' next year and the year after. I've met some fantastic people, enjoyed some great beer and learnt a hell of a lot. Planning for next year starts in 2 weeks time - the biggest thought is whether to move the dates to August bank holiday which should be warmer and see a better turnout on the Sunday night.

I'm very thankful to my guests - their patience, understanding and support was appreciated more than I can write down. On the plus side, because of the very cold nights we've had out in the marquee, the beer should stay in good condition up to and including this weekend, so hopefully a few more pints can be sold over the bar (it takes a great deal of patience to move 'live' casks!!!)

lechyd da!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    the biggest thought is whether to move the dates to August bank holiday which should be warmer and see a better turnout on the Sunday night.
    that sounds like a plan to me - plenty of tourists around too.

How about coinciding it with the Literary Festival? (that is Hay, rather Ross isn't it?)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    that sounds like a plan to me - plenty of tourists around too.

How about coinciding it with the Literary Festival? (that is Hay, rather Ross isn't it?)
    I would of thought that the Literary Festival is a good enough weekend, whereas setting it at a different weekend gives a second bite of the cherry. I am guessing August would mean more people, and during the Summer school break if that makes a difference.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

A follow up blog from Ed on it, because I am a bitter person I smiled at point 2 (although one more than we sent), and point 3 made it sound really fun.

What we were aiming to do was increase footfall to the town over a quiet weekend - I purposely didn't put it on at a time when people would already be in town. Although that sounds like a strange idea, the A&L fest was always meant to be a grower, and with supportive comments from people like Peter Amor, whose Barrels hosts an August Bank Holiday festival with around 80 ales on handpump, I'm looking forward to next year already!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    What we were aiming to do was increase footfall to the town over a quiet weekend..... I'm looking forward to next year already!
    Sounds like it was a hoot, young Eddie, wish I'd...., well you can guess the rest.
    As for the food and beer matching, give me sticky honey and whatever mackerel on a bed of cockles and bacon, who cares what the beer is..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Sounds like it was a hoot, young Eddie, wish I'd...., well you can guess the rest.
    As for the food and beer matching, give me sticky honey and whatever mackerel on a bed of cockles and bacon, who cares what the beer is..........
    We're looking to do bi-monthly or even monthly food & ale pairings now - that was a huge success!