Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Signs

This Space For Hire

I pass the Famous 3 Kings london w14 most days and the pub sign makes me smile. the famous 3 kings are Henry v111-Charles 1st and Elvis .

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I pass the Famous 3 Kings london w14 most days and the pub sign makes me smile. the famous 3 kings are Henry v111-Charles 1st and Elvis .
    For possibly the first time ever I looked up at the King William IV sign the other week and couldn't help thinking that the image looked more like a Drag Queen rather than a King.

Maybe it's actually a picture of Lily Savage hosting Blankety Blank!

Quote Originally Posted by Youngie View Post
    Wow! just spotted this cracker of 'The Cat & Custard Pot' at Shipton Moyne!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Yes, it is a real beauty! If only we could congratulate the artist on such a wonderful job!!

Thanks for sharing that.

I will have to pass through Shipton Moyne sometime, I'd never heard of it till you pointed it out even though I've been to Tetbury and Westonbirt loads of times.
    I've not seen this thread before - it dropped out of sight before I joined the site. Good to see some of the links to great pub signs, but disappointing that Youngie has only added nine photos of his own inn signs. I hope the revival of this thread prompts some more.

[Also good to see Conrad getting things started and joining in the discussion - he's sadly missed on the forum.]
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    The Kings Head - Shrewsbury, as the king is Henry VII, first Tudor king, and best of the Tudors in my opinion. He stopped at Shrewsbury on his way to Bosworth in 1485.
    I also like the King's Arms in York, another tedious history one, but it is Richard III, the chap that 'got me into history' at the age of 10.
    Fascinated by the way Richard III got you into history, yet you consider Henry VII the "best" of the Tudors. I must admit to having got "into" Richard III via Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time (not really history, I know), so I'm very anti-Henry. OK, it's mostly just a gut thing for me, like Whig v Tory, or Beatles v Stones, bitter v MILD or even Luton v W*tford, but I'd be interested in how you got from chalk to cheese, so to speak. Personally, I'd not be too happy about drinking in a pub with Henry's nasty visage on the sign - the Margaret Thatcher of the 15th Century.

Sorry, got a bit silly there. Getting back onto subject, here's one that I quite like.
    Come On You Hatters!

Don't know why I missed this thread first time round.

While we're on the subject of Kings Heads, the king in question at the well known one at Huddersfield station is Jimi Hendrix

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/62786/

As well as the non-PC Black Boys there are a number with the older version of Blackamoor or Black A Moor, we only have three of each on the site and they're all in Yorks/Lancs or Cumbria, is this northern bluntness?

This Space For Hire

Love the Hendrix sign.The Farmers Boy in St Albans has a small black boy on the sign but its the landlord,s son so its PC.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Fascinated by the way Richard III got you into history, yet you consider Henry VII the "best" of the Tudors.
    I am very much a pro-Ricardian, yet i believe he murdered the princes in the tower - through the need of self preservation. He was facing not only a rival family, but a split within his own - he had little choice if he wanted to survive. Looking at the Tudors - well they aren't great! Henry VII, through his frugality at least built up the finances of the crown (squandered by Henry VIII); curbed the power of the nobles and private armies, which had fuelled the wars of the roses; united the troubled country by marrying Lizzy of York, married his son well (to the daughter of Ferdy and Issy of Spain), and so gaining some international status; and saw off the two fake pretenders in the form of Simnel and Warbeck. All was well until Henry VIII came on the scene!

Just my opinion of course, and at least i didnt talk of palace decor, or twigs!
    MILD:

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

also - i just put a photo up of the pub sign to the Bucket of Blood!
    MILD:

I am very much a pro-Ricardian, yet i believe he murdered the princes in the tower - through the need of self preservation. He was facing not only a rival family, but a split within his own - he had little choice if he wanted to survive.
    Interesting! The main thing that's against this in my view is that he would gain no advantage unless everyone knew they were dead - which they didn't, during Richard's lifetime. When Henry killed possible claimants, he made damned sure that everyone knew about it, pour encourager les autres.

Back on subject again, here's one from the south Yorkshire coal field - I've not been in the pub yet, but it's fair to say it looks a lot less attractive than the sign suggests.
    Come On You Hatters!

also - i just put a photo up of the pub sign to the Bucket of Blood!
    Glad to see that one finally on the site - I intended to do it myself last November on my way back from a trip to St Ives. Trouble is I was halfway home by the time I remembered and I'm sad to say I wasn't dedicated enough to turn back!