Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Signs

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Pub Signs

A new challenge. Does anyone have any good pub signs they would like to report?

We have a number of pictures of some amazing signs, for particular attention it is worth looking at Anthony Collis's contributions. Who is I believe associated with the rather excellent Inn Sign Society. I also believe one of the contributers on the forum works with pub signs, although it is up to them to out themselves.

I think they are an excellent promotion for pubs and it is always sad for me to see these disappearing when pubs close down or change hands. If anyone has any old pictures of signs we would love to have them on the site.

As an aside I took a couple of pictures of The Golden Lion on the way into work today to try and show off the murals graphitied round the building. It was a fantastic piece of work done by some locally recognised urban artists. Not sure if it should have qualified for The Worst Piece of Art Memorabelia thread, but I think it adds real personality to the place. I only used my camera phone, but hopefully someone who likes photography will get a decent set of images to preserve the work.

Smile The Slaughtered Lamb

Hi Conrad,

My Favourite Pub sign hangs outside one of the two pubs in Egton at Whitby's Goth Weekends. I'm not sure which one, either the Wheatsheaf Inn or Ye Horseshoe Inn.

I've got a picture of it somewhere, I'll dig it out when I get home. Its a picture of a werewolf and a slaughtered lamb oddly enough. The pubs name changes to The Slaughtered Lamb.

Filo
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I have a few pub signs that stick out in my mind, but will keep an eye open and let you know on this thread if i see anymore

The Kings Head - Shrewsbury, as the king is Henry VII, first Tudor king, and best of the Tudors in my opinion. He stopped at Shrewsbury on his way to Bosworth in 1485.

The Black Boy in Bridgnorth - the name would now be considered old fashioned and raise a few eyebrows for obvious reasons - the pub sign has a little chirpy Dickensian chimney-sweep lad, after a hard day's work!

We do have a picture of the Black Boy in Bridgnorth, I have to say that the 'Dickensian chimney-sweep lads' in Suffolk seem to be a little chirpier. Take a look at the ones in Sudbury and Bury St. Edmunds.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well if we are going to refer all the Blackboys surely we need to mention the Blackboy Inn in our own fair town, although the pub sign seems to steer clear of anything too controversial despite being sited on Whiteladies Road about halfway up Blackboy Hill.

We don't like to hide from our slave links here in Bristol

Smile The Slaughtered Lamb: Egton

Hi,

I found the pub sign.

Its attached. I think

Filo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0ee4_1.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	1  
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I also believe one of the contributers on the forum works with pub signs, although it is up to them to out themselves.
    (Cough!).... Do you mean me Sir!
    Ok, confession time. I paint Pictorial Pub signs for a living. Mainly for my local Brewery: Wadworth & Co (although any other commissions gratefully accepted of course.. plug plug).
    It would be rather conceited of me to start posting images of my own signs and flagging them as: "Wow! just spotted this cracker of 'The Cat and Custard Pot' in Shipton Moyne!" But suffice to say I have literally hundreds of snaps of the (mostly Wadworth) signs I've painted and will upload a few if anyone's interested.
    I also possess a fair few books on the subject so if there are any requests or queries about strange names etc I may be able to help.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Youngie,

I was indeed thinking of you, we noticed the signature on this rather marvelous example.

Plug away, do you have a website for your work? Anything that gets pubs doing proper pictorial signs gets my vote.

Speaking personally I would love to see as many of the snaps up on PG as possible, I think they really add to the personality of a pub and are part of the pub that can all to easily be lost during changes or closures. If we have a pictorial record on PG at least something of it is retained. Certainly no issue with conceit or promotion as it makes PG so much more pleasant when there are nice pictures of the pub on display.

Thanks

Conrad

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

I was indeed thinking of you, we noticed the signature on this rather marvelous example.
    Hi Youngie

nice to hear from you again, since the Wadworth thread. Quality work, mate, i haven't advanced from matchstick men, so i admire anyone that can draw/paint

Conrad'e example is stunning, i can really see why the pub is called 'the big chopper'

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Filo,

Sorry completely neglected to reply to you, the picture attached fine and I can see why you would remember that one, it is a corker.

If you remember which pub it is you should attach it on PG, although it is another one that really needs us to allow members to attach a story to the picture.

Conrad