Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Signs

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

The slughtered Lamb is quality - scarier than the Dracula Museum, filo!

I also like the King's Arms in York, another tedious history one, but it is Richard III, the chap that 'got me into history' at the age of 10.

Spritzer Swallower

Wow! just spotted this cracker of 'The Cat & Custard Pot' at Shipton Moyne!

Yes, it is a real beauty! If only we could congratulate the artist on such a wonderful job!!

Thanks for sharing that.

I will have to pass through Shipton Moyne sometime, I'd never heard of it till you pointed it out even though I've been to Tetbury and Westonbirt loads of times.

Default The Kings Arms

Ah.. The Kings Arms. Happy memories. It was a Sammy Smiths pub when I used to drink in there in the 70's and 80's.

Filo
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    We do have a picture of the Black Boy in Bridgnorth, I have to say that the 'Dickensian chimney-sweep lads' in Suffolk seem to be a little chirpier. Take a look at the ones in Sudbury and Bury St. Edmunds.
    Hello Everyone, just joined and so I thought I would start on safe ground. There is a Black Boy pub in Bewdley, Worcs. and a very good photo of the sign has been provided by Mr Colliss. A haughty member of the House of Stuarts glares down at passersbye. He was given that nickname because of his swarthy complexion and head of copious black hair. So the story goes. One wonders if the sweeps are a recent invention so as not to upset people. Then again pubs have been known to be renamed.

Hi arkwrite,

Welcome to the site!

I think you are right about the chimney sweep thing being a modern invention. Most of the Black Boy signs I've noticed being submitted here seem to feature Charles II.

There are also some out there that simply feature a black boy, such as this one in Retford.

Do feel free to post in the 'Your favourites' thread too, particularly if you at least have an opinion on any milds - unlike me and Conrad!

Dave

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Arwkrite,

First of all welcome, nice to have you here, please let me know any feedback you have on the site, I am responsible for most of the development of the site and keen to get any feedback I can to try and get it as good as possible.

I notice you are using a different name on the forums to the site, this means that if people try and check your contributions on Pubs Galore using the link off the forums they won't see what you have done, it may also may impact on things we add in the future. If you like I can merge the 2 accounts so that they use the same spelling, if you would like this let me know which is your preferred spelling and I will sort it. If not just ignore this.

Conrad

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The PC brigade have been trying to get the sign for the "All Labour in Vain " in Horsehay , Telford banned for years , it pictures a washer woman attempting to wash a little blak boy "clean"
    Not very PC i admit , but its based on an old story .

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just took a look at our sadly spartan listing for All Labour in Vain (nothing there at time of writing). We have an insane amount of pictures on the site but still a lot of room for improvement, would love to see that sign, it is the sort of thing I hope the PG site will be used to preserve.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Just uploaded a picture of All Labour In Vain on to its page , impressed meself , i`m useless with computers .