Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG crawl to Norwich - Friday 14th April 2023

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default PuG crawl to Norwich - Friday 14th April 2023

Thought it worthwhile kicking off the discussion about the next crawl given that advanced fares are already on sale for March.

Major cities that have never been blessed with a PuG tour seem to include Cardiff,Norwich,Lincoln,Durham and Newcastle .

The North/Midland/South rotation is a good idea ,and there were some pleas to avoid the South in June/July due to the temperatures experienced in the past in Oxford,Reading and Winchester.That still leaves a free hand as far as this spring is concerned .

On dates I note that Easter is April 7th - 10th so thats best avoided ,outside that apart from the odd Saturday footie match I'm pretty free.

We can conduct polls to get to a democratic decision ,but any initial thoughts ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

The Camra AGM & Conference / Members’ Weekend is in Sheffield from 21 to 23 April 2023, so several people might rather avoid that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Thought it worthwhile kicking off the discussion about the next crawl given that advanced fares are already on sale for March.

Major cities that have never been blessed with a PuG tour seem to include Cardiff,Norwich,Lincoln,Durham and Newcastle .

The North/Midland/South rotation is a good idea ,and there were some pleas to avoid the South in June/July due to the temperatures experienced in the past in Oxford,Reading and Winchester.That still leaves a free hand as far as this spring is concerned .

On dates I note that Easter is April 7th - 10th so thats best avoided ,outside that apart from the odd Saturday footie match I'm pretty free.

We can conduct polls to get to a democratic decision ,but any initial thoughts ?
    Norwich was 2012. before my parcipitation in events so no problem with the option.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Norwich was 2012
    I think only four of us went on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I think only four of us went on that one...
    Ah yes, as summarised by Roger Button on post#48 on this page, other participants being Richard himself, Paul Of Horsham and some Hatter bloke .
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Ah yes, as summarised by Roger Button on post#48 on this page, other participants being Richard himself, Paul Of Horsham and some Hatter bloke .
    Not me! According to Roger's write up there were only three of them on this trip: himself, Richard and Paul. (I commented at the time that Roger's report was almost like being there, but in reality I wasn't!)

I think it's scandalous that we haven't done an "official" trip to Norwich, one of the very top beer and pub cities in England. It's about time we put this right

I propose a visit to Norwich in Spring 2023.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 01-01-2023 at 18:32.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Not me! According to Roger's write up there were only three of them on this trip: himself, Richard and Paul. (I commented at the time that Roger's report was almost like being there, but in reality I wasn't!)

I think it's scandalous that we haven't done an "official" trip to Norwich, one of the very top beer and pub cities in England. It's about time we put this right

I propose a visit to Norwich in Spring 2023.
    Don't know where I got that Idea from, you must be lurking in my sub-conscious somewhere!
    Norwich is not a bad shout though I gave it a good bash the summer before last albeit with covid restrictions, I think Quinno went a month or so after me and wasn't overley impressed with the beer quality in general, I found both good and not so good.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 02-01-2023 at 13:11.
    -W.C.Fields

More than happy with a trip to Norwich as long as we can avoid the weekend of the 28th April as that’s Cheltenham Jazz festival for me.
    Used to do Norwich a lot in the early 80’s when I had a couple of mates at UEA. Haven’t really been back since those days.
    Would be nice to go back to the Murderers and not get in a ruck, as the landlord in those days was a right wing NF supporter and his like minded locals didn’t much like students, especially if they were a bit off colour….
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

Can we try and avoid holding a southern crawl in the summer? We've had at least two occasions (Oxford, Winchester) when the weather was sweltering.

Some observations;

1. Summer crawls should no longer take place in South, we've regularly melted and had some ropey beer as well as a consequence of the heat/poor day time turnover. Plus there's the concern that someone could take a funny turn if they overdo it in the heat without realising (it's happened to me before and I'm young(ish) and can take a few pints!).

2. As I'll be into my contracting work I'm highly unlikely to make a Friday. Regular bookable leave isn't really a thing in this game.

3. Norwich has plenty of good pubs over a surprisingly large footprint, but I found the beer quality a bit hit-and-miss when I went. No reason not to go, but it isn't the utopia that perhaps it maybe was 15-20 years ago. Pick carefully or just concentrate on the immediate centre via the Fat Cat.
    Last edited by Quinno; 03-01-2023 at 13:46.