Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krek Waiter's Peak Bristle

Default Krek Waiter's Peak Bristle

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Bristolians all speak like that anyway, so I hadn't noticed
    Inspired? by Conrad's comment on another thread.

A few years ago when the excellent Smiles Brewery Tap was on Colston Street, the manager allowed me to take a full set of 3 giant beer mats.

I've added a picture of the 3 in situ and then 3 close ups of what they actually say.

Prize from Conrad for correctly guessing what they say. They get progressively harder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	598.6 KB 
ID:	386

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	1056 
Size:	771.4 KB 
ID:	384

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	949 
Size:	754.1 KB 
ID:	385

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	1176 
Size:	791.1 KB 
ID:	383
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 21-09-2010 at 14:50.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

pffffffffffffft, far too easy, no prizes for those

Quite a few years ago now, the Smiles Brewery Tap is sadly long gone and replaced by the far more decorative Colston Yard.

They look like A&H's anagrams to me.

pffffffffffffft, far too easy, no prizes for those

Quite a few years ago now, the Smiles Brewery Tap is sadly long gone and replaced by the far more decorative Colston Yard.
    Ahh! but you speak Bristle. Even a Bristle guy who came to our house struggled with the third one.

Yes, they had a fantastic polished granite bar. The last time I was up there was before Colston Yard was created and they had smashed the bar into several pieces to remove it. Why would you do that? It must have been worth quite a lot.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 21-09-2010 at 14:49.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I only vaguely remember Smiles, I went in there a few times and my vague memories are of a pub from the now endangered species of multiple sitting areas spread out with one large bar area (although I may be misremembering any of that). Beyond me why anyone would break the bar, thankfully building reclamation seems to be a good business these days and you see less of those traversities, always a bl**dy mystery though.

Colston Yard is a nice enough pub, very tidy, slightly foody and a selection of Real Ales favouring Butcombe brewery (who own it). Worth visiting, for me it lacks a little in personality but I always feel comfortable drinking there.

I only vaguely remember Smiles, I went in there a few times and my vague memories are of a pub from the now endangered species of multiple sitting areas spread out with one large bar area (although I may be misremembering any of that). Beyond me why anyone would break the bar, thankfully building reclamation seems to be a good business these days and you see less of those traversities, always a bl**dy mystery though.

Colston Yard is a nice enough pub, very tidy, slightly foody and a selection of Real Ales favouring Butcombe brewery (who own it). Worth visiting, for me it lacks a little in personality but I always feel comfortable drinking there.
    And of course you could always go for the far more intimate surroundings of Zerodegrees across the road.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    And of course you could always go for the far more intimate surroundings of Zerodegrees across the road.
    Never ventured in there, but I have heard great reports about their food.

Don't worry I will just ban myself

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Ahh! but you speak Bristle. Even a Bristle guy who came to our house struggled with the third one.
    Say them out loud in your own version of the Brisel accent and it's not too hard, although I'm still struggling over where Coal Snaw might be.

You have to do the same sort of thing when translating Black Country/Brummie, Geordie (perhaps with a learning aid such as the larn yersel jardy series) or Glaswegian (Stanley Baxter's "Parlyano Glasgow" from the Sunday Post of years ago was a pretty good crash course in "ra patta").

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Say them out loud in your own version of the Brisel accent and it's not too hard, although I'm still struggling over where Coal Snaw might be.
    It's that place just down from the Smiles Brewery Tap init.

A little local knowledge needed for that one.

I gotta admit 3 has me baffled, managed 1, no problem, and more or less translated 2 but now me 'ead 'hurts.
    Still, in a probably vain effort to get me own back, what, in the late 40's were emmets, polly dishwashers and stins? The accent comes from the Ringwood - Wimborne area and has more or less vanished now.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........