Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pub Photo's ?????

Default Pub Photo's ?????

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/71051/

Maybe it's just me, but these don't look like photo's of a pub called Alexandra at all.

They look like a music shop.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi ROB,

It is indeed a music shop. A few of our photographers like to take pictures of how the pubs location now looks after the pub has closed. In a few cases it is quite interesting as the surrounding brickwork can contain evidence of the pub (frequently it's name). I have to admit in this case it is quite boring though. It is one of those things we have never really seen fit to clamp down on, if it is a case that you think we shouldn't allow the photos chuck it up in requests and see how others feel.

I think it's a fair one - it's clear that the pub is closed, so we can see what it looks like now. Maybe in the future someone will come across a historical picture of when it was a pub.

I notice that there are other closed pubs further up the same road - No 20 (Roots) has the trappings (windows, old sign bracket) and No 26 is annotated in Google Street View as "Ship of Fools" although it appears to be called Pepe's now - but that too looks like it may have been an old coaching inn. Historically interesting, but not much use for planning a crawl, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Hi ROB,

It is indeed a music shop. A few of our photographers like to take pictures of how the pubs location now looks after the pub has closed. In a few cases it is quite interesting as the surrounding brickwork can contain evidence of the pub (frequently it's name). I have to admit in this case it is quite boring though. It is one of those things we have never really seen fit to clamp down on, if it is a case that you think we shouldn't allow the photos chuck it up in requests and see how others feel.
    I'm not sure that I have any strong feelings either way, I was just confused. It's a shame that there isn't a photo of when it was a pub, so that these could be stored as extra photos but not on the main page.

One thing I really don't like though is pictures of boarded up pubs on the main page when there are others from when it was open. But maybe that's just me as well.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I haven't got any strong feelings on it, it can now be potentially controlled with the show on main page facility.

I guess I struggle to believe anyone would want the boarded up photos to be shown, I think opinion would range between don't show to don't care. So on that basis I have no issues with the members who can control photos stopping boarded photos showing on pages where there are alternatives.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I haven't got any strong feelings on it, it can now be potentially controlled with the show on main page facility.

I guess I struggle to believe anyone would want the boarded up photos to be shown, I think opinion would range between don't show to don't care. So on that basis I have no issues with the members who can control photos stopping boarded photos showing on pages where there are alternatives.
    The key word here is "alternative". I know some of mine are boarded up, but there are no others, much as we may wish there were some of the place when it was open

My view, FWIW, is something is better than nothing for a closed pub which may be knocked down at any time

I'll stay on me own

Hi Conrad does this mean you dont want photos of boarded up pubs being put on Pubs galore i have put a few on because i thought they might be pulled down and at least a photo of a boarded up pub is better than nothing.
    One of my examples is the Heathfield in Nottingham i carnt see this pub coming back to life again and i did'nt have an older photo of this pub to put on the site.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

No we definitely want any photos we can get of pubs.

I think the only issue here is where we are showing pictures of boarded pubs where we have pictures of the pub whilst it was open. And even in these cases I am happy to have the boarded pictures as they show a different time frame.

Some of our members have the ability to set it so that pubs pictures don't get selected to show on main page you see of the pub, and these users can set it so that the pictures that are boarded aren't selected where we have pictures that are possibly of a better time.

So yes, please do post any pictures you have, they are all welcomed.